Thread: Maple Burl Winged Bowl

Maple Burl Winged Bowl

I saw a piece posted on another forum by Bill Grumbine of an awesome little Elm Burl Bowl with wings that I absolutely loved. I had another little $15 maple burl and thought it would be perfect. I left the bottom a little heavy as I didn't want and it to tip over, but now that I look at it, I think I'll remount it and take away a little more. Form is 12"l x 8"w x 2.5"t. Finish is Dr Woodshop Walnut Oil. Candid/constructive criticism appreciated.
    Winged Maple Burl Top.jpgWinged Maple Burl.jpg
    Last edited by Nate Davey; 02-02-2013 at 9:10 PM.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Looks great to me.

little? 12 inches? for 15.00?? gotta find that store!!! yep, if the picture is accurate, the bowl could be smaller, but it's not make or break IMHO.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Nate, you aready said what my first thought was...the inside curve didn't match (or even come close) to the outside curve on the bowl part. So, visually, that bothers me. However, you did it on purpose to keep/add weight so the turning didn't tip. So, it seems it was intentional... I personally like the shape of the inside curve, and would have liked to have seen the outside curve that same shape (shallower sides). Then the inside could be left the way it is, leaving the wall thickness big, leaving weight. Since you can't add more wood to the bottom, I would say that re-turning the inside would be a good idea.

That said, can you get an idea of how balanced it is? I mean, can you afford to take more out of the inside and still not have it fall over?

I LOVE this overall shape and want to do one sometime. The wood you picked is beautiful. I can't tell too much about the fit and finish (can't get close enough to really see), but I couldn't see any tool and scratch marks, which, I'm sure, is not easy on an irregular piece!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nate, leave it alone. Looks great. Wonderful piece of wood. My experience when going back to touch something up, I usually end up with 2 pieces........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Your right on that one Jerry, sure is frustrating sitting here looking at it.

Mike, thanks for taking the time to write your critique, I agree with your assessment, I'd have to make a pretty serious jig to redo the inside, I could take some off the outside with jamb chuck and cone center, but I'm worried about it coming apart, ref Jerry's post. I'll have to sit and ponder for a bit!
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck