Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tight miters

tight miters

Hi...I am wrapping a mitered projection (like a picture frame with a box inside) around some small boxes. The first three sides are easy...but getting the fourth in...where the miters have to be tight on both ends at once...has been troublesome for me. I would like to hear how some of you folks deal with this issue. What I have been doing is cutting them over-sized then shimming the miter gauge with business cards...playing cards...whatever...until I get the fit. I have a lot of boxes to do (for holding small amounts of cremains for family members) and this sneaking up method is a bit time consuming. Thanks for any help!

I think I got it, but a picture would sure help.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Well, first thing, if there are any pencils involved in your process, throw them away quick. No pencil line will be accurate enough. I like to measure the distances by using a marking knife or razor and marking off the actual distances. So throw the ruler away too, except for cutting rough blanks. I like to cut my parts about 1/2" or so over sized, so I'm not working with really long stock to cut shorts, that can transfer any twist in the molding to the blade. Better to cut them short. If I'm doing repetition in terms of sizes I'll sneak up on the first one then set a stop and cut all the parts the same size. It helps to have a few short pieces with miters on them os you can place your cut piece in place and check to see how it really fits on both ends and going around the corner. For outside corners, I'll clamp a mitered piece to the adjacent side, cut my first miter, but it up to the clamped up piece, mark the second side, check the length with a short mitered piece. Its really easy to think it looks like its at the corner, but without a piece to verify, often its really not and all goes afoul on final assembly.

Oh, and take a deep breath............in..........out.........whoooooo ooooooooo. One more time now.................you have to be relaxed and exercise great patience. There simply will be a lot of sneaking up, carefully scribing a line to sneak up to can improve your chances of success and expedite them too.

I think that I understand what you are up against and I would say that "creeping up" is the only technique for tight and tidy work, expecting bull's eyes is unrealistic for every piece. I would suggest that you use a hand plane and a shooting board to quickly trim your mitres to the perfect length. This may sound like a stoopid suggestion but a sharp handplane and shooting board will make very quick work of what you are doing. Cut your mitres a tad long on your saw and then take all of your work to your bench for final fitting. You are moving around your shop less and you will move quickly after a box or two. You can calmly and safely sneak up on the perfect fit with a handplane.

Now, check out this link for the ulitimate mitre clamps for the fine work that you are doing and with these (buy as many clamps as you can afford) you will positively fly!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...89&cat=1,43838

Blog Entries
    A Shooting Board is hands down the best way to go. I don't bother to use my compound miter saw for most things any more, mark with a triangle or square, cut with a back saw, shoot to fit. Takes no time at all and the result is better then any power tool I have come across...

The beauty of the shooting board is setting it up with the triangle for shooting miters... it does not have to be perfect, as long as the triangle is true 90* and your shooting board has both left and right shoots... not to mention when you figure out how to shoot end grain, you will never sand end grain again.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I totallyagree with Andrew. A shooting board is the way to go.

I have wondered one thing about shooting boards...does the plane not plane away the board as well? Seems like the perfect 45 would be short lived. I use hand planes but never used a shooting board...good time to give it a try.

First thing I do is set up my miter guage so it cuts a perfect 45. I cut 2 pieces for a corner and then I put them together amd make sure the inside corner makes a perfect 90 degree corner. The next thing for a tight corner is the lengths of each side need to be the same. I do this with stop blocks. It the box you need to put the frame around is not square the the best way to do it is us scrap pieces to get the corners right and sneak up on the final length.

Thanks Cary...I used stop blocks and a newly sharpened blade. The boxes are square...but veneered...there is enough minute differences to warrant adjustments. I made a 45 shooting board this morning...and did some testing with a low angle block plane. It leaves the miter smooth as glass. What I was doing was to leave the mitered molding just a tiny bit proud of the shooting board and planed it back until the plane reached the shooting board. It worked very well. I made left and right shoots as Andrew suggested...but the left side of my plane isn't square to the sole. I suppose shimming is the way to go there. If there is a better technique I'd like to hear about it...it still looks like the plane will eventually plane the board out of 45. Thanks for all your input!

Blog Entries
    It would help if someone could post a pic of a shooting board set up for a 45 degree miter, better yet a video. I know not of what you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    It would help if someone could post a pic of a shooting board set up for a 45 degree miter, better yet a video. I know not of what you speak.
    Google it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjeVPRELe4I
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Here is a fantastic video of a guy making a 45 degree shooting board using nothing but hand tools. Makes me tired just watching it but then again I am not much of a hand tool guy but it was still incredibly impressive to watch someone do a project using nothing but hand tools to route, cut, chisel, screw, drill and plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
    Here is a fantastic video of a guy making a 45 degree shooting board using nothing but hand tools. Makes me tired just watching it but then again I am not much of a hand tool guy but it was still incredibly impressive to watch someone do a project using nothing but hand tools to route, cut, chisel, screw, drill and plane.
    Myk, ouch.

Michael, thank you. Impressive video. Still not sure how the plane doesn't eat up the shooting board over time. Or maybe it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Myk, ouch.

Michael, thank you. Impressive video. Still not sure how the plane doesn't eat up the shooting board over time. Or maybe it does.
    Take a look at the sole of your plane and notice the distance from the edge to the blade. This small distance sets an area on the shooting board that is not cut by the plane. I just made my first shooting board because I was having the same problem with fitting the final side of a mitered frame and it solved all my problems. Well, not all my problems, but at least the ones with mitering.

Bill

It does eat the shooting board but it stops after a bit because the blade of the planes are not full width, that leaves a small ridge on the bottom of the board you are referencing to. Actually the reference is the flat side of the plane on the shooting board (bottom side) and that small lip that rides the sole of the plane. Hope that explanation is a bit clearer than mud!