Thread: Which Tools to Buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All good advice above. I also strongly suggest you contact a wood turning club in your area. Looks like the "Piedmont Woodturners" in Greensboro is close to you. Check out the American Woodturners ( www.woodturner.org ) web site for more info. The clubs have mentors that can help you get started with the proper tools and one on one instruction.

Thank you all for your informative advice. I was planning on setting up a router I know...taboo) for the fluting but I do have some carving tools including a V tool. That is something for me to consider.

I am somewhat in the same boat as you in starting off down the path of turning. I however take a different view to my tools. It doesn't make any sense in my opinion to waste money so I look not as to what they cost but to what value they bring.

I asked a similar question to what you just asked, and the best response I got was to join a guild (that I had already done) and speak with some of the members. I talked with one who offered up a Saturday morning to help me out and let me try out some of his tools along with showing me more about the ones that I had. That was the best investment I have made in it gave me a starting point to begin with.

I don't think that having inexpensive tools that will blunt too easily is all that smart. Yes you will get to sharpen them a whole lot but I know from experience that there is a point that you get what you paid for. Good tools don't make you a good turner, but poor tools slow down your ability to become one.