Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool box

Tool box

I found a link and a very brief discussion about this tool box on a forum not about woodworking so thought I'd share it here, and maybe find some answers. Here is the box.

And here is the site with more photos. http://mantiquesmodern.com/item_details.php?id=499555 . My big question about the tools in the old box has to do with the brass triangle and what purpose do the curving lines scribed into it do or represent.
    This so inspired me I've decided to build one. Mine will be a bit larger because I want it to house my 12" x 18" square. A bit more manageable than a Studley chest. I will be building my box out of teak ( left over from a job three years ago) but in the meantime I did a quick mockup from pine to test different layouts. Here's my first door layout.

I'll keep you posted as work progresses but in the meantime, any thoughts on the old box?
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

The marks you are referring to could be compass angles relative to a point on the triangle.

I would not want to have tools buried behind other tools.

I believe this box was designed for site work, and portability was the primary aim.
    I work almost entirely in my shop, so rust prevention and access are the storage properties I value most.

I note the depth gauge in your measuring kit - I use that more often than some of the other items (like the framing square for example).
    I would want the tools I often handle within arm's reach on my bench - not stashed elsewhere.

That's a really cool antique. I wonder what it sold for, and my guess based on the tools within that it was an early 19th century box, and might even be late 18th century. Wouldn't be able to tell without closely examining the planes for maker's marks.

Intact tool boxes like this are quite rare. Antique tool dealers often break them up b/c the individual tools will bring more money than the complete kit.

I agree with Jim -- not real practical for in the shop. I also agree with David -- it's really cool!
    Michael Ray Smith

I agree that for in the shop it is not the most convienient. The H.O. Studley chest was even more intricate but was only used in the shop. No this little one clearly has done some traveling. There is no photo of the back so impossible to tell if there were any provisions for hanging when not traveling.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I thought I remembered reading that this box was actually of recent construction, (although containing old tools) and the fellow who did it has made others like this, often times cutting tools down to fit them. Am I totally misremembering that?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

No you are not misremembering. I saw that discussion but I have a hard time accepting it. As someone else said often times toolbox sets are often broken of 'cause the tools are worth more individually. As I said I'm starting to build one and if I didn't plan on useing it it would be a waste of time. It is not an easy task to do it well.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Blog Entries
    From your sig it looks like you might have use for a nice traveling toolbox that shows off your joinery skill, assuming you do custom woodworking on the yachts and not barnacle scraping. I've always thought it would be a fun project to tackle at some point, though I need to make more tools to go in the box first.

Jim,
    If I were building one, which I'm not, I would try to keep the number of tools included to a minimum. Having 4 squares, though 2 are the same style only differing by size, seems redundant. If you are making this to include all of your tools it is one thing, but if you are making a traveling kit I would go for a style of tool that could be used for multiple task. Regardless of the purpose, it is challenging to design one that will hold what you want and at the same time have tools readily accessible. I have enough trouble just getting mine up on a wall in an organized fashion.
    Paul

Very cool chest --- I think I saw better images previously, but not finding them now.

It's an interesting contrast to the Studley chest, w/ a definite folk art charm. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out. I need to do something similar for my tools.

I gave a link at the top of the post with the locations of the photos.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I meant that I've seen better images than at that link. I think I saved them at work, will try to check Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I thought I remembered reading that this box was actually of recent construction, (although containing old tools) and the fellow who did it has made others like this, often times cutting tools down to fit them. Am I totally misremembering that?
    My untrained eye says you're on to something. My eye keeps going between the saw on the front panel, and what appears to be a compass saw in the back. I can't help but notice the difference in the size of those two handles. If one is normal, than the other is either extremely large...or extremely small. After the saw, my eye moves to the planes. The scale is way off. Personally, I think it's a clever bit of art. But a functional tool chest? It'll take more convincing.
    btw...I did mention untrained eye. I'm no tool expert, it just doesn't look right to me.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

The box is only 14"x10"x3.5", not sure what it's the owner's trade could be? Big city carpenter where you had to travel light? Installer of some type?