Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
I guess I'm a little confused. It's been two years, yet you had the advice of a Realtor. Are you planning to sell the house soon? This is one of the areas where Realtors really frustrate me. They only seem to know current trends and styles, but they're not interior designers. If you're going to live in the house for however much time, the longer that time will be, the less that current trends should influence your decision (unless you really like them, or want to continually update). I've been in hundreds, if not, thousands, of houses, so I have a pretty good idea of what I like. That may or may not have anything in common with "what sells". When I'm ready to sell, I'll cross that bridge, but until then, any work I do on my house will be to suit my tastes and uses.

As for order of work, I agree with Bryan's post from 2013--do the major demolition and reconstruction first. Set up a temporary kitchen elsewhere if you have to, but you'll be time, dollars and inner peace ahead to rip out everything you're going to replace first, then start putting in the new. Rip out the trim and cabinets, then the floor, do all your rough-in plumbing and electrical, put in the new floor, patch walls, trim and paint, set cabinets, finish plumbing and electrical, touch up paint.
Ummm.... I know what I like and want to use in the kitchen, keep it simple and classic. SWMBO likes to make things a little more complicated, IE speaking our realtors. Yes, there is always the possibility of moving, but as long as I don't have a specific date, I plan as if I will be here for the long term.