Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casters for larger machines

Casters for larger machines

I have a couple relatively large machines I would like to put on casters (think in the 500 to 1000 lb range).

Does anyone have a particular type/style of caster they recommend? (pricing that I have seen range from $8 to $80 each - of course I prefer to be on the lower end of this range).

It will be rolling across relatively smooth concrete floor.

Hi Carl, I'd suggest a semi live skid approach as opposed to casters however since you're knowledgable I'm assuming you've rejected that approach for a reason.........Regards, Rod.

Carl, I have a Felder AD741 jointer/planer on Great Lakes casters, it weighs 1280lbs. I use the foot style http://www.greatlakescaster.com/products.php?cat=262 like these. They work great for my application. You can definately tell you are pushing a heavy machine, but they roll very well and lower very easy.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Greetings from NC!
    McMaster-Carr has a great selection of casters and since you're on concrete, you don't have to be concerned about the hardness of the caster. My shop has wood floors and caster hardness can damage them, but McMaster-Carr has an excellent tool for hardness (durometer) selection. Here's a link - http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-casters/=lldjvw

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Carl, another alternative is a pallet jack. In my shop I have a welding table that doubles as a woodworking table, 4"x8"x 1" steel plate, and weighs around 1500 lbs. I move it out of the way whenever I bring a car into the shop for an oil change. My Unisaw (rarely moved) and it's outfeed table, as well as my 8" jointer (frequently moved), and RAS are all on custom made pallets of plywood and double 2x4" blocks. I have a couple of very heavy blacksmithing tools that are similarly outfitted and I can move everything myself easily.

I second the pallet jack method. The mini pallet jack from Grizzly or Northern Tools is the hot setup, no more casters for me in fact I will be removing the castors on the machines that have them already installed

I have the foot-style on my ~2k # wood storage unit. One key caveat on these small, hard wheels is that they are susceptible to small pieces of rock or wood. The smaller (and harder) the wheel, the more the impact.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Carl, I put a set of these on a machine table I built recently. A set of 4 is rated at 1100 lbs. I picked these because of the slick ratchet mechanism that raises & lowers the foot pad. A set of 4 cost me $200 delivered.

http://www.needcasters.com/eshop/10E...=GDR-60F&vis=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-22-2013 at 5:49 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Carl, I put a set of these on a machine table I built recently. A set of 4 is rated at 1100 lbs. I picked these because of the slick ratchet mechanism that raises & lowers the foot pad. A set of 4 cost me $200 delivered.

http://www.needcasters.com/eshop/10E...=GDR-60F&vis=1
    +1 on these. Though, I recommend the Woodcraft version which cost considerably less. I have a 1000# bandsaw on a set of these and they work great. I can almost do the waltz with the saw

I like to use leveling casters like the ones already mentioned for my big machines. Its nice to be able to level your machines on an uneven concrete floor. The ratchet style look cool, kinda expensive, but the ones that work with a wrench are fine too.

~mark

Someone posted a pic of a machine on a wooden mobile base. Thought, maybe that would be a fun project, so last time Menards had a sale, noticed they had casters on sale. So I bought some with steel rollers. My G0453 planer has steel rollers, and it rolls very easily, so got those, as they handle considerably more weight than the plastic ones. My floor is concrete, so they won't hurt the floor.

500 to 1000 lb machines move prettily easily so you can't go wrong if the wheels or castors are rated about 1/3 more than the machine weight. When you get over 1500 lbs you have to choose correctly. Soft wheels turn and start out hard. At that weight the Zambus carrymaster casters shine and are worth the upcharge over Great Lakes IMO. I also use pallet jacks but they can drop a machine a little hard to the ground so rubber bumpers or some carpet helps. Dave

I have an Oliver lathe on the Great Lakes castors, they work very well. Plus one on the pallet jack though. Only problem with it is that it you have to store it someplace.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    +1 on these. Though, I recommend the Woodcraft version which cost considerably less. I have a 1000# bandsaw on a set of these and they work great. I can almost do the waltz with the saw
    Yeah, I paid dearly for the ratchet feature. My knees can't take squatting/kneeling while fumbling with a wrench. It only takes a few seconds to set each pad with the built in ratchet.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    +1 on the Woodcraft locking casters....I have all my equipment on them (Robland J/P, Oneway lathe 2436, Laguna 18" bandsaw, etc.). They go on sale from time to time and seem high quality....