Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beads of Courage box (WIP - Now complete)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beads of Courage box (WIP - Now complete)

We had a presentation from the Beads of Courage people back in January. This will be my contribution. Mahogany and Curly Eucalyptus with a (yet to be turned) African Blackwood knob. Turning is pretty much done other than the knob, mostly just sanding and finishing left. I've left a ring in the base that I'm thinking of making into 3 or 5 feet.
    Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jason Clark2; 03-03-2013 at 9:56 PM.

Please continue with the pictures as you go!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I decided to redo the lid. They're supposed to be a loose fit because these go to little kids but the first lid was way too loose for my taste. I also turned the knob out of African Blackwood and have everything a good sanding and some oil. Now only the bottom is left.

You're getting there Jason. I like the knob on the lid..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nice looking box for a great cause!!

Well done Jason, this is on my to do list in the near future. Cudos to you for doing this.

Very nice really like the wood combo. Very nice box for a very deserving cause.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Done!

I decided to change plans and go for a completely different base. I intended to carve some feet out of the wood I left behind but opted to turn it into an integral bead instead. This was much easier than carving feet and much faster too. I also think the shape of the bead echoes the rolled rim of the body. A vacuum chuck gives full access to the entire bottom.

Woods are Mahogany for the body, Curly Eucalyptus for the lid, and African Blackwood for the knob (2 piece).

Jason

Looks great Jason! That should make some little kid very happy and it looks like it will hold a large collection of beads! I still have to get mine turned.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice job.
    How do you participate in the Beads of Courage program? It's something I'm very interested in doing.
    Thank you,
    Rodney

Really nice project for a great cause. Well done, Jason.

We're lucky because the headquarters is down in Tucson, just a couple hours south. We had a representative from the organization come to our January meeting and give a short presentation.

The guidelines are pretty straightforward:
    http://www.beadsofcourage.org/pages/woodworkers.htm

We'll be collecting them from our members for the next couple of months and to encourage participation we'll have a raffle for all those that made a donation. I'm hoping that we can have a couple dozen members participate.

Jason

13. Jason, a great looking box for a wonderful cause. Good job!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Jason I have a question, I am going to start one tomorrow do you sign the bottom as you would on most things you make. Or would that be considered bad form?

I haven't signed mine yet but I'm planning to sign my name, my Club's name, the date, and Beads of Courage.

Jason