Thread: Can you tell me about these Record Chisels?

Can you tell me about these Record Chisels?

I was given this set of Record Chisels 10-15 years ago. I believe they were new at the time. I have not used them very much as I have a small set of users that I can transport much easier. I haven't even flattened the back on most of them. I have a fully powered shop setup but am gradually moving toward a neander approach for jointing and prep for finish (I will most likely leave the rough milling to the tools with tails). Can anyone fill me in on what I have here? Would they be at home in my shop or would I be better served selling these off and purchasing a smaller set of higher quality chisels?
    Attached Images Attached Images

These have the same steel as my preferred Marples chisels.

They're excellent. If the handles are too slippery, that's a problem.
    You'll have to spend considerably more money to get anything better.

I recommend at least sharpening the 3/4" chisel, the size I most commonly use, and use them for a month.
    The others need sharpening when (and only when) you find that size too small or if you're paring larger tenons.

Have a look at this video, to see what I mean.

They're professional quality chisels with excellent edge retention - if my set is anything to go by - and capable of lasting a lifetime's worth of use.

If handles proves too slick during use, you can always lightly sand their surfaces to improve grip.

Jim and Jim, thanks for the replies. It sounds as though it will be worth my time to flatten and polish the backs. Any thoughts on removing the plastic handles and replacing with wood?

Not sure why guys think they're slippery....sweaty hands? I have the mortising set with the same handles and have not found them to be detrimental in any way. So as for replacing the handles....just about anything "can" be done, the question usually is....it worth it I'd try using them for a while before considering that route.

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Any thoughts on removing the plastic handles and replacing with wood?
    I don't have these chisels, but I have a number of Stanley 60's with a very similar handle. I did have to replace the handle on one that had split badly, but I sure wouldn't go out of my way to do it. The really nice thing about the permaloid handles is that they can really take a beating without any remorse at all. My advice: don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Jim and Jim, thanks for the replies. It sounds as though it will be worth my time to flatten and polish the backs. Any thoughts on removing the plastic handles and replacing with wood?
    Never a problem Andrew

I've never had any problems with slippery handles on Marples Splitproof chisels either, but there's no harm roughing them a little if you do encounter a problem. I honestly think they're well balanced and comfortable in the hand during use. Very well worthwhile setting up and honing when you're ready to use them, but I'd hesitate in terms of exchanging handles unless absolutely necessary.

I'm more confident investing the time into them now. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again guys!