Thread: Special size router bit?

Special size router bit?

I'm looking for a source for a 3/16" router bit that has a cutting length of 1" and 2 1/2" total length. I found the 2 1/2" length but it's the standard 3/4" cutting length. Anybody have a source? or a source for custom bits?

Perry

Whiteside will make you a custom bit. 1" is awfully long for a 3/16" bit.

I agree with John. There will be a fair amount of deflection on such a bit, but since you didn't comment on it's intended use, maybe a slot cutter would work?

The problem is reach. It's for a CNC project. Needs to cut about 7/8" deep, but I am not agressive with the cuts, usually cut .0625 per pass, deflection should not be an issue.

Perry

Look at machinist supply places for end mills. mscdirect.com or use-enco.com

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post
    The problem is reach. It's for a CNC project. Needs to cut about 7/8" deep, but I am not agressive with the cuts, usually cut .0625 per pass, deflection should not be an issue.

Perry
    I had a feeling it would be for a CNC project. A cheap alternative MIGHT be to see if Whiteside could make you a "necked" router bit. Explain to them what you're doing. They might be able to take their standard 3/16", 3/4" CL bit and turn down the shaft to maybe .180 and give you a little bit of clearance. Are you running this in a spindle with collets, or are you using a router (i.e. does the shaft HAVE to be 1/4" or 1/2" or can you deal with odd sizes)?

Looking for an end mill is a good idea too.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 04-06-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I had a feeling it would be for a CNC project. A cheap alternative MIGHT be to see if Whiteside could make you a "necked" router bit. Explain to them what you're doing. They might be able to take their standard 3/16", 3/4" CL bit and turn down the shaft to maybe .180 and give you a little bit of clearance. Are you running this in a spindle with collets, or are you using a router (i.e. does the shaft HAVE to be 1/4" or 1/2" or can you deal with odd sizes)?

Looking for an end mill is a good idea too.
    A spindle with collet, 1/4". I could get a 3/16" collet , probably, might be cheaper in the long run. I thought of the "necked" approach. That would work. I actually thought of turning the bit on the lathe to move the shoulder up 1/4", but the bits I have are solid carbide.

I'll look at the end mills, I looked at McMaster Carr, but looked at router bits, not end mills.

Perry

Search eBay for 3/16" end mill XL(extra long). These are 4 flute 1-1/8" LOC.

www-dot-ebay-dot-com/itm/SGS-3-16-4-Flute-X-Long-Carbide-End-Mill-Lot-of-6-NEW-/190819795954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6dbf 03f2

I bought some a couple years ago for a project - 3/16" 2 flute with 1" LOC. It just takes a little searching.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Try Carbideprocessors.com
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Jamie's advice is sound. No need for custom anything just go for a metal working endmill.