Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing for the Perth LN Tool Event

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I built this coffin smoother today. The body is my favourite Tasmanian Blackwood (similar to Koa). The 1 3/4" iron is a (NOS) J.Herring & Sons, which is laminated and tapered. The body is 6 3/4" long.

Derek
    All beautiful tools Derek! I especially love the coffin smoother. I just looks like it invites you to take hold of it and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    Nice work Derek.... Show us your "maker's mark"....

Cheers Bill
    Hi Bill

I don't have a stamp. The tools I build really should have a mark (although it has never been something I thought to do before now). I can stamp a "DC", or write my name with a scribe ...? Any ideas?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Unless you've an excellent set of letter stamps or can grave your name tidily, an embossing - name - stamp is definitely the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Hi Bill

I don't have a stamp. The tools I build really should have a mark (although it has never been something I thought to do before now). I can stamp a "DC", or write my name with a scribe ...? Any ideas?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hey Derek

I've always thought of a "maker's mark" as a little way of saying "Hi" to the future and for someone beyond you to connect back to the person's hands that carefully made something. Anyway, personally I have never been a fan of stamps and branding irons, I long ago liked the simple hand carved "JK" that James Krenov used. See page 43 of "A Cabinet Maker's Notebook." I also appreciate his quote, "My little mark, when I remember to put it there, is because I have done all the work." After trying a couple alternatives, I settled on a little hand carved lower case "f." In your case a little lower case "dc" might be simple and nice.

Anyway, very nice work, those planes beg to be picked up and used!

Cheers - Bill
    Cheers, Bill Fleming