One of my neigboors has a kitchen table made by his father some time ago. The table split this winter and now he's ask me if I can help fix it. It's made from oak and as you can tell the wood movement caused the joint to fail. It parted along the glue joint till it hit a weak grain line then took off along it. The other problem is the Dad glued and screwed a brace across the bottom. Probably to help keep the top flat ( )? Two screw are centered in each board and I have to assume that there is also glue under there. The maker used 5 or 6 dowel's in each seam too. In spite of the maker alternating grain orientation there is also a warp about midway of the top. Only the top is finished - underside left raw.

So, what's the best way to go about salvaging this thing? Luckly it's ordinary oak so if I have to insert a piece to regain original width it will be easy to match. Is there any known way to soften the glue under those two cross braces if it's there? I'm thinking once I get it apart (if, in fact that is the best approach) I'll use biscuits to reassemble. Luckly, the oak is quite ordinary so if I have to patch in a piece to achieve origiinal width it will be easy to do.

Any suggestions appreciated - don't assume any offering is too basic or obvious. Is there any known way to soften white wood glue under those two cross braces if in fact the maker did use glue? Thanks