Thread: suggestion on a finish for a bowl.

suggestion on a finish for a bowl.

I have this 10 in ash bowl that i previously applied GF Salad Bowl Finish to it, bout 3 coats. The person buying it want to use it as a nic nac bowl-
    change,keys, phone etc. Would putting Poly over top of the food safe finish make it more durable or not worth my time..
    thanks in advance
    Denny

I wouldn't waste my time. Even the poly is going to get nicked up with change/keys, etc.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Do you think rubbing out with 0000 steel wool to a matt finish would make scratches and nicks less visible?

Dents and dings from normal use are often called patina i.e. the finish of daily life. I am becoming well patinated.....no green mold yet I don't think.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

I wouldn't bother either. GF Salad Bowl Finish is roughly 1/3 poly or some other type of varnish. Applying straight poly will just build up a film which is easier to damage by keys.

After a few months of use, it'll matte right up all on its own. I think it'll be fine.