Thread: Turner specific, Work Bench, Peg board/Lathe tool storage.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Turner specific, Work Bench, Peg board/Lathe tool storage.

Hi all,
    It's been some time since I've posted. Since the beginning of this year I started re-finishing my basement where my shop is located. Initially the intent was to separate the "Clean" and "Dirty" sides of the basement. Once I Halved the basement, I chose to thoroughly finish the Clean Side. I put in a separate rec room for my Son as well as a Laundry room w/ sink.

Now that the Clean side is complete. I have now dragged my lathe and Saws etc into their respective locations. Before getting back to turning, I want to get organized. This will include a new Bench as my current bench racks a bit and has a 2x pine top (too soft) and is in need of a proper bench vise. This leads me to my questions.

1. I have seen cabinet makers benches and such; Does anyone have a features on their benches specific to help with turning? I’m thinking more to facilitate Blank prep, or finishing or whatever…
    2. What about peg boards and/or Lathe chisel storage? I’d like the storage to hang behind the late but biased at tail stock end. (to avoid reaching over spinning object) I’m thinking of trying to get chisels, calipers, knock-out bar, chuck keys, wrenches, Molly bars etc. Perhaps also small drawers at bottom for sanding disks. I have a large, 2 drawer system under the lathe so chuck and jaw storage and taper attachments are all set. I’d like it to be easily accessible yet as compact as possible. I’m open to a chest that opens as well.

I’d like to get fancy without breaking the bank. Having the last name I do, when making a tool chest, I feel there is a minimum I should shoot for. (Thanks a lot Cousin Henry)

Please share any thoughts, pics or links that you think may add insight or inspiration to my effort.

~Update: Per Dan and other's comments Re:curlys, I should reconsider location. I added a picture of the shop layout to illustrate. I originally figured Pegboard etc would be above Sharpening station. Since I use a water sharpener, this is extra reason to move things to keep curlys out of the water reservoir. So I may, per the Red arrow, switch the lathe and Sharpening and have pegboard still over the sharpening, this is logical. However I am concerned that I may prefer to have more elbow room near the tailstock.BasementShop.JPG
    Last edited by Chris Studley; 05-06-2013 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Added Picture