Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifts for my wedding party

Gifts for my wedding party

Hey Guys,

I'm back to reality from my wedding and honeymoon, the wedding went off without a hitch and was a great time, and the honeymoon in Aruba was just awesome!

I wanted to share some pictures of the stuff I made for the wedding party now that the wedding is over. (I couldn't post them before since my brother Jeff sometimes looks on here). Here are a few pics of the jewelry boxes that I made for my wife's bridesmaids.

I have some additional pics at my website http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/jewelryboxes.html

And here are some pics of the knives I made for my groomsmen and the ushers....

Additional pics can be found at: http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/...menknives.html

And finally here is the bandsaw box that I made for the ringbearer, since he's way to young to get a knife....

And for those of you that remember the post a couple weeks ago with the jewelry box I made to give to my wife for our wedding....

She absolutely loved it!!

Thanks,
    John L.

John,

Wow!! Everyone that received a gift from you sure is lucky!

Congrats on your marriage!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by John Lubeski
    the wedding went off without a hitch
    LOL! For some reason, that seems a little contradictory! Seriously, congraulations on your wedding...and the gifts are great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations on your marriage. I wish you and your wife many happy years together.

Those gifts are awesome. The bandsawn box in particular is nice. I hope the ring bearer takes care of it.

Kevin

John, those are truly beautiful and well crafted items! You're a man of many talents. I'll bet all the recipients of those wonderful pieces will Cherish them for many, many years to come! Great job and...Congrats on the marriage! Best of luck to you and your bride!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jim - "without a hitch" - I thought the very same thing. . . . . :0

John -

Those presents you made for the wedding party are stunning. Spectacular wood choices you made.

Congratulations to you and your bride,
    Ted

Wow, those gifts are awesome. Very special gifts for a very special day. Hope that they serve as cherished memories for a long time to come.

Can't wait to see what you make your first child.

Bob

Very nice. I really like those jewelery boxes--I see myself making one for my daughter in the near future.

There are some really nice things there. I have two questions. How did you finish the items and how do you do those dovetail keys on the jewerly box?
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

I like the bandsaw box a lot

I'm going to have to make one of those for my son. Well done.

Thumbs up

Congrats John,you are really a talented fellow.Best wishes and good luck to you and your new bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Smith
    There are some really nice things there. I have two questions. How did you finish the items and how do you do those dovetail keys on the jewerly box?

The jewelry boxes for the bridesmaids were finished with a blo/mineral spirits/poly brew. The knife handles were finished with good old Tru-oil, and the Jewelry Chest I made for my wife was finished with Deft laquer and then rubbed out, additional pictures of it can be seen at: http://home.comcast.net/~john_stacy/bridesgift.html

I made the dovetail keys by cutting the pieces to be joined at a 45 degree angle, and glued them together. Then using a jig I made which holds the two pieces at a 45 degree angle (the "V" points straight down), and has a groove for a router bushing milled into the base, I ran it though the router table with a bushing and dovetail bit fitted on it. Then I cut a length of dovtail using the same bit until it fits, glue it in and cut it flush. Its kind of hard to explain, but not that hard to do once you make the jig.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!!

John L.

Congratulation on the marriage John. I am especially intrigued by the "waves" on the bandsaw box. What did you use to make those? They look fantastic!

Congratulations John! Those are very nice gifts! I think it's great that you took the time to do it. Can I be in your next wedding?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Can I be in your next wedding?
    John,

I truely hope and believe that I will never need to have another wedding! Maybe a renewal of our vows!

Erin,

The waves in the top were a bit of an experiment, I roughed them out with the bandsaw and a straight bit in my plunge router, then refined the shape and smoothed them with a sanding drum mounted on the auxiliary shaft of my old radial arm saw. I was more than a little worried about how they would turn out after first hitting them with the router , but in the end they turned out pretty good.