Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes You Have To Sit Back In Awe

I wish that I worked that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    I wish that I worked that fast.
    I'm in awe of getting the project done in six minutes.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    I'm sure there's a joke here
    Joke for sure.

As for the clamps Im not sure how a clamp can crush a project unless it fell off the roof (another joke)

His work is beautiful and unique. He MAY have trouble with laminating solid wood to plywood, but that's a risk you take for thinking outside the box. Unconventional techniques worked for many famous contemporary furniture makers,Wendell Castle for example.

I'm in awe of the fact the video shows festool's dust collection ability. In real working conditions it's not that impressive.

I was intrigued by the way he closed the gaps between the "live" and "non-live" edge with a jigsaw... Seems like it might have been easier to fair the live edge, then use that as a router guide to match the other edge to it. Seems like you would have gotten a lot closer seam. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I was intrigued by the way he closed the gaps between the "live" and "non-live" edge with a jigsaw... Seems like it might have been easier to fair the live edge, then use that as a router guide to match the other edge to it. Seems like you would have gotten a lot closer seam. Am I missing something?
    I thought the same thing Eric when he was using the jigsaw, but it seems he pulled out the router for the second one?? or did I see it wrong?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

It looks like a Festool ad and the bed was for a photo shoot

A nice video put together. I personally don't like the design and I think there are potentially serious flaws in construction as others pointed out.
    I'm not sure who the target audience of this ad is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I thought the same thing Eric when he was using the jigsaw, but it seems he pulled out the router for the second one?? or did I see it wrong?
    I think tear out is a problem going the router route and you have to be pretty precise with the spacing of the two boards.. I've see Roy Underhill (Woodwright's Shop) do something similar to get matching lines but he used a handsaw, of course. It wasn't matching up board lines as done in the video but more for larger dovetails. Saw...push together...saw...push together....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I think tear out is a problem going the router route and you have to be pretty precise with the spacing of the two boards.. I've see Roy Underhill (Woodwright's Shop) do something similar to get matching lines but he used a handsaw, of course. It wasn't matching up board lines as done in the video but more for larger dovetails. Saw...push together...saw...push together....
    For a straight line, a saw makes sense--think I saw Tommy Mac use the same technique to fix ill-fitting dovetails. But I'd think a jigsaw would leave a much more jagged cut, plus the width of the blade is going to prevent it from following tight turns well. As far as matching them up, use a 1" flush trim bit and offset the wood so the flushing ring hits the "live" edge but not the other, then just clamp the two pieces so you have less than a 1" gap uniformly between them. On balance, I think I'd probably err of the side of dealing with tear out, since it is a glued surface anyway.

Not a Festool jigsaw, Eric! LOL! Seriously, though, it does cut well and cleanly with a nice sharp blade. It appears to have worked for him anyway. I would have liked to hear some commentary and a get a better look at the technique, however.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-14-2013 at 5:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    but it seems he pulled out the router for the second one?? or did I see it wrong?
    Tried to respond before, but I must have done something wrong because I don't see it... I think he pulled out the router to put a 45 bevel on the pieces...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I think he pulled out the router to put a 45 bevel on the pieces...
    Yep, watched it again, guess I couldn't absorb all that Festool action in just one take.....all those green and black tools flying around, with jigs and live edge boards. No time for popcorn on that flick.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Blog Entries
    Second great video this morning on the creek (the other one was the steam powered box factory in the Off Topic forum). I was amazed at how much the grain popped when he applied the finish. What kind of wood was he using?

I think he was "kerfing in"... basically you put the two boards together and remove a 1/2 saw kerf from each to close the joint. That should remove all of the small gaps between the joint line. I think it was used a lot by old shipwrights to get water tight seals between large planks.

Give the wild grain directions I am not so sure the a patter bit would be a good choice and you'd be climb cutting a lot.