Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric Weed Wacker...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I'm not a fan of Black & Decker in general but I have been very pleased with their 110v electric Brush Hog weed whacker. It has lasted several years longer than I expected it to.

I have the same one - although mine is a 2nd - the first only lasted 1 year = on my 3rd year with this one - it eats line, but otherwise does a great job. I did not want to spend a ton for a good gas one, and all the gas ones I had previously quit starting consistently after 18 months. I hate dragging a cord - but oh well - it works!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    HD also sells higher capacity batteries for the Ryobi one+ that claims to give 4x longer run time over the base battery.
    In my anecdotal experience, it depends on the task. I used to get AT LEAST twice the run time out of the Lithium over the NiCd battery that came with the my tools (which is now dead). Maybe more. I never made the effort to time it on anything but weed wackin'. As I mentioned, I have used my string trimmer to mow, and I would get about 12-15 minutes of constant run time out of the NiCd and 25-30 minutes out of the Lithium. My sense is that in start and stop tasks like drilling and sawing the Lithium lasts much longer than twice the NiCd. I rarely have to swap batteries during an outdoor project.

The Lithium batteries have other benefits including:

• They hold a charge much longer. I don't get into the shop every week, so I love knowing that I won't have to wait for my batteries to charge before I can use my drill.
    • They have a flatter discharge curve. With lead acid batteries, they start strong but gradually get weaker and weaker. Lithium batteries stay strong from the beginning with only a slight drop-off in power just before they have to be recharged.
    • They charge faster. My old NiCd had a charge time of around an hour whereas they Lithium was about 45 minutes.
    • They're lighter. More power with less weight.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    I have the same one - although mine is a 2nd - the first only lasted 1 year = on my 3rd year with this one - it eats line, but otherwise does a great job. I did not want to spend a ton for a good gas one, and all the gas ones I had previously quit starting consistently after 18 months. I hate dragging a cord - but oh well - it works!
    We've had a B&D corded string trimmer for years. B&D's electric lawn tools seem decent, we also have a corded electric mower for a townhouse lot. The only maintenance has been to replace the brushes occasionally. The trick with corded lawn tools is to start at the outlet and work out. The only issue I have with the string trimmer is it uses about the smallest diameter line available. It's prone to breaking when cutting woody weeds or sometimes when trimming around fences.

I was able to find a $5 off coupon for HD online and purchased the cordless ryobi li-ion trimmer online with free shipping. It came this week and I went out last night for the first time. Went through a battery and a half to do the whole yard but that may be because the grass is so high right now. Hoping that if I just keep up with it every week I can get through with one battery. Overall i was very impressed and loved the fact that it is so light and easy to carry around. As of right now I would definately recommend to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    I was able to find a $5 off coupon for HD online and purchased the cordless ryobi li-ion trimmer online with free shipping. It came this week and I went out last night for the first time. Went through a battery and a half to do the whole yard but that may be because the grass is so high right now. Hoping that if I just keep up with it every week I can get through with one battery. Overall i was very impressed and loved the fact that it is so light and easy to carry around. As of right now I would definately recommend to anyone.
    Glad you're pleased. I hope it serves you for a long time.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey