Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parks planer refurb

once the gear came off everything else came off pretty quickly. My mechanic gave me some stuff called Aero Kroil which worked like magic freeing up the stuck gears.

Evaporust shined up the rollers real nice.

After awhile, I didnt even bother cleaning off the grease, the paint stripper cut right through and got everything.

My daughter wants me to paint it pink but I'm not yet sold on the idea.

What type of paint is good for this? Plain old rustoleum?

DO LOOK into the set screw hole. There is sometimes a second,short set screw down in the hole. They certainly used them on my Hardinge HLVH lathe,and on the large motor pulley on the old Delta 8" jointer we had in the toolmaker's shop.

I'm stuck

I got it put back together but my dial indicator is too big to fit into the opening to finalize the setup. I need one where the spindle is 4" or less...the one I have is 5". I looked on Amazon and that particular dimension is not indicated. Does anyone know of an inexpensive small dial indicator?

One think I noticed is that the pressure bar is mounted on springs just like the infeed and outfeed rollers. That means that potentially it could be pushed up into the cutterhead. WHen in the correct position, there is only about 1/16" separation between the two and it only takes two turns of the pressure bar adjustment screws to pull it up high enough to contact the blades. It seems really strange to design it this way. Of course the bottom of the pressure bar is a few hundredths higher than the blade edges so there shouldnt be a way for anything to get through the blades and still be high enough to contact the pressure bar. But it still raises the question: Why is the pressure bar on springs to begin with?

Thanks!!

I'm really hoping someone can help me with one last hurdle. During re-assembly, I noticed that the bolts attaching the pressure bar were slightly bent. I discovered that the holes to mount the pressure bar dont line up with their corresponding holes in the sides of the planer. The obvious solution would be to loosen the sides and pull them closer together until the holes line up. This isnt possible however because the blade hood (colored orange in the photo) must fit in between the sides. I would have to grind about 3/16" off the width of the blade hood to make it fit AND have the pressure bar holes line up.

I hope this makes sense to someone.....Any suggestions are welcome.

I used sherwinn williams oil based enamel mixed to the original paint color. Used a good brush and mini roller to paint it on my bandsaw. Left it out in the sun to bake on. Worked great
    Cutting rough stock lumber is like scrambling an egg, there is no going back