Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WSJ article re depth of upper kitchen cabs.

I did a mix of 12" deep and 15" deep cabinets plus 24 over the fridge.

The "15 inch" deep 42" tall corner cabinet is HUGE. I can barely reach the back of the topmost shelves. The 15" one over the coffee area holds the Keurig organizers we bought which wouldn't have fit a standard 12" cabinet.

Extra deep over the stove would have presented a problem installing our GE microwave.

21" off the counter??????????

Mine are 15" and we like them that way!!!! 21 is ridiculous. As far as the depth goes, I suppose the deeper they are the higher they need to be.

Being in the custom cabinet biz, I think custom is good. If someone has a need for 16" deep upper cabs, then build 'em. And provide more space under them. But I certainly think following some supposed "trend" toward really deep upper cabs is not something I would do automatically just because that's what the trendy articles are showing.

Patrick- build the kitchen that fits your needs. If you've noticed your dishes are bigger, then build cabinets to accommodate them.

I'm in the midst of redoing our kitchen and in a conversation with a friend, I tried to explain why it was taking so long, that I was hoping to build something special that would last for a long time and he just shrugged and said fine but probably when we sell our house, the new buyers will rip them out and install what they want. I think he's right.

Build what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post

Since i am planning on tearing apart my kitchen next, I am curious as to your thoughts/experiences/etc.

Thank you in advance, patrick
    "My kitchen" is the operative phrase. Build to suit your needs. All these issues are so subjective. My wife and I like the uppers a full 12" deep (and I typically build this depth for clients) but if you have a few charger plates that need to be stored or otherwise oversized dinner ware yeah, factor in at least one deeper cabinet but measure your stuff and build accordingly. As for the height from the top of of the c-top, again what are your needs? Are you or your spouse short or tall? Do you have kids who are expected to put the dishes away? Are all your cabinets set at 36" above the floor or are you allowing for a shorter work station? Will you store all kinds of gadgets and/or appliances on the c-top? How tall are those? Sometimes 16" of clearance with under cabinet lights included is plenty high enough. You get my point. It really is all about how you will use these.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Reply to Phil

More don't ask that do, but several have. I had one lady bring out a big ole platter and ask if I could build her upper cabinet so she could store her platter in them. Those who don't ask I do suggest it. I don't suggest it to increase the price of the project. I suggest just so they know their cabinet will be custom and they can have what the want. I also like to suggest they think about all drawers in the base cabinet. That's another "fad" in the making. So many just don't know what standard sized cabinet are to begin with. Many also don't know what's available in hardware and organizers ect. I believe it my job to lay out all the option I know and let them decide. I also believe it's in by best interest that the customer is happy when the Project is finished.

That being said I only do 1 to 2 kitchens a year, some times not that. I'm not a pro "just a 3 day a week hack" as I have a day job that pays the bills. I even have two kitchens now that were pro bono except for the materials. I just like building cabinets.
    Last edited by Richard McComas; 05-26-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    More don't ask that do, but several have...I even have two kitchens now that were pro bono except for the materials. I just like building cabinets.
    Outstanding feedback, thanks Richard!

I have built plenty of kitchens and I thought it was a good idea. The 3" raise coupled with the 2" depth increase for the uppers means the sight line is relatively unchanged when viewing the counter. All these big coffeemakers are certainly taller than what we had just ten years ago.

I always specify that instead of outlets in the wall above the backspash, they be done as a plug-strip right up along the wall right under the wall cabinet bottom decks, mounted to a bevel-ripped strip so as to angle about 30 degrees down. Eliminates all those unsightly receptacles that interrupt your nice expensive tile backsplash. The height increase makes these plug strips more accessible.

Here is the way to do a corner wall. Hafele D-susans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I totally agree! I am always trying to sell my clients on blue painters tape pulls, but they always end up buying some fancy dancy pewter thingies.

We need a magazine to feature the simplicity and beauty of the painter's tape pull.

Wait- you were talking about the turn-a-rounds.

Interesting thread.

Just bought a house and realize I need to gut the kitchen and intend to build cabinets, the issue of depth has been discussed. The current cabinets are 12" and there are not enough of them. I have been thinking 14" would be the magic numbers.

With all this talking about raising them to 21" consider this, some women are quite short. I am over 6' and my wife is 5'. If I start putting cabinets 21" above the counter I may never sit down again in my life as I will endlessly be grabbing things from shelves she cannot reach. Something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post

With all this talking about raising them to 21" consider this, some women are quite short. I am over 6' and my wife is 5'. If I start putting cabinets 21" above the counter I may never sit down again in my life as I will endlessly be grabbing things from shelves she cannot reach. Something to keep in mind.
    My kitchen has 9' ceilings, my wife is 5' 2", she insisted on cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling.....

CH
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 05-27-2013 at 8:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I totally agree! I am always trying to sell my clients on blue painters tape pulls, but they always end up buying some fancy dancy pewter thingies.
    I have one frustratingly indecisive client who is at least a year and a half into her painters tape experience with no end in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Murray View Post
    some women are quite short. I am over 6' and my wife is 5'.
    I'm not clear on your point. Are you saying the cabinets should not be higher because our wives may not be able to reach, or we should get taller wives if we want to raise the cabinets?

If you think a new kitchen is expensive, wait until you price a new wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post

Phil, that just might be post of the month............LOL..............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post

The way prices are rising, the new wife might be a bargain

I have lots of plates that either don't fit or barely fit in my standard sized uppers, and my stand mixer does't make it under the uppers. The dinner plates do but the serving platters miss by a hair. When I redo my own kitchen the uppers will be a little little higher and a little deeper. Maybe not 14" inside, but close. I'm thinking 20" off the counter? I haven't really figured it out specifically, but a little bit bigger is for sure. I'm not sure its a government conspiracy or a radical fad. I just want my stuff to fit in the cabs. More drawers would be nice too. I may even upgrade the 40 amp two fuse service and put in indoor plumbing too. Times change, I'm a rebel, I want to be ahead of the curve.