Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 important safety gears/gadgets

Top 3 important safety gears/gadgets

anyone wants to share what are the 3 most important safety gears/gadgets in your work area?

Blog Entries
    SHOP: A clean work area, good lighting and an easily accessible safety system: first aid kit, phone, dust collection and fire suppressants.

Bandsaw: Work supports, featherboards, and pushblocks.

Drill Press: Enhanced table and fence, holddowns, chip collection.

Tablesaw: Splitter or riving knife, featherboards, and push blocks.

Each tool / station has its own known safety items and procedures. Use them and see, breath, and count to ten for life ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Goggles, dust mask, ear muffs in that order.

1. A clear brain - Think through cuts on anything with a blade. Tired? Have a drink? Stay away from anything with a sharp edge.
    2. Positive Air Respirator - No need to screw up your lungs for a hobby.
    3. Shop Air filtration - Same reason.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Your brain is your most important safety gear.

Think about safety before you do any operation. Think about where the cutting edge is going to be, when it goes where you intend. Think about where it might go, if it doesn't go where you intend. Think about where the workpiece or the offcuts are going to go. Ensure that you're not going to be any of those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Your brain is your most important safety gear.
    A few years ago I was interested in an uncommon machine. The manufacturer gave me the name of someone who had one, and he was kind enough to let me see it.
    He had lost half a finger in jointer accident and mangled a finger in a table saw accident. He proceeded to demonstrate without using push blocks when they were really really necessary. I had trouble watching, but didn't want to be rude. Yeah, a brain. (he was a nice guy, just didn't seem to care...)

ya use your brain and get some training in safe work practice.

many PDFs here on safe work practice for most woodworking machines.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/workingmachine.htm

jack
    English machines

Sawstop table saw
    Sawstop table saw
    Sawstop table saw

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Brain, safety glasses and ear muffs in that order.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Sawstop table saw
    Sawstop table saw
    Sawstop table saw

Mike
    +1
    +1
    +1....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

1: For the last 20 years, my Beisemier splitter on my Unisaw.

2: The plastic router bit guard on my router tables.

3: Pushblocks. At first I couldn't understand the popularity of the expensive Grripper, now I have two, plus at least a dozen shop built special purpose blocks. Watch their videos.

All three of these are related, in that they could stop an inattentive moment from becoming a disaster. I just upgraded to the Sawstop also, but haven't got it together yet.

Rick Potter

0) I only ever go in the shop with a clear head. if I'm angry or distracted, I just don't go in. If I get angry or distracted, I just walk out. The shop is just a giant box full of things that spin with death. It's an oversize suicie box from Fururama, no quarter required. There's nothing in that shop that's worth me not having a hand to wipe my butt after my morning coffee. Bonus points for the Pavlovian response of this practice. I do not go in my shop upset/angry/distracted, therefore everytime I go in my shop, I instantly relax/cheer-up/focus. I often go in my shop before going to the doctor as it lowers my bloodpressure. I'm sure by now he's noticed I'm constantly covered in saw dust.

1) shop cleanliness. The only accident of any significance I've had in my shop was becuase of of chip accumulation on and around my jointer leading to me slipping with a board when I hit a knot on said board going through the jointer. I lost a little flesh on my finger tips and a good bit of pride., but learned that lesson.

2) goggles or glasses. I never, ever work without either safety glasses or glasses with polycarbonate lenses. I have a prescription set of glasses that I use in the shop and I can't tell you how many times over the years that a random wood chip has bounced off of them. It's certainly more times than I can count on my 9.995 fingers.

3) the sawstop. I know how some feel about this saw, but it's hands-down the best thing I've put in the shop, and it's amazing how much BETTER your work gets when you can focus a little more on the quality of the work and eliminate some of the well-placed fear a giant spinning blade instills. Bonus for cheapskates: I'm acutally a touch more concerned about blade contact with the sawstop than I was with the previous table saw. the idea of risking an $80 cartridge and a $100 blade is morbidly more worrisome to me than spraying blood all over the shop. go fig.

Ballistic glasses, ear pro, respect and a little fear for each power tool. DO NOT let complacency set in. Complacency and Murphy are best friends and can't wait to show off together.

Guards

Training

Evaluation

Safety glasses + any other PPE required for the specific task

Push sticks

Jigs& fixtures to hold the work and keep me away from the sharp edges