Thread: Handles, cushion grip or Shot filled

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have both Bosch and Thompson handles and like them both very much. Right now I'm preferring the Bosch as the Thompson is feeling a bit too heavy. Am planning on removing the shot and seeing if that helps.

I have OneWay, Bosch, McNaughton, Thompson and wooden.

OneWay = very comfortable grip but a tad heavy, but it works well for me to hand hollow.
    Bosch = fairly comfortable and weight is decent, the rubber material has the slightest sticky feel to it
    McNaughton = strange ribbing on handle which I don't care for the feel, weight is similar to OnWay
    Thompson = LOVE the flat sides so that when laying it on the bed ways it doesn't roll. Was heavy until I dumped the shot out! A bit cold to the touch, but I have been meaning to buy a neoprene bicycle grip and see if I can slip it over the end (haven't yet)
    Wood = light weight, cheap if you make your own and warm to the touch. I like the shape of my Sorby handles.

I have also demo'd Johannes Michelson's tri-lobed handles and like the feel of them but his are designed to have the steel glued in place.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I like wood the best also. I don't like to swap out handles as much as possible. Wood is light and nimble, I think. I do have a heavy McNaughton handle which I keep my 5/8" gouge in. I like the hefty handle only when roughing. Other times I prefer the lightness and feel of wood.

It's wood handles for me. I like the feel, and the shape is the way I want it. Swapping handles is a nuisance that I can do without. I've added lead shot to the butt of my HD scrapers and enough to get the balance I want in my larger gouges.

I have a couple of glaser gouges with metal handles. I don't care for feel of metal so seldom use them. I guess some of it is what you're used to.

Mostly wood on spindle gouges, skews, etc. Pipe on big gouges, scrapers, covered with radiator hose. Also use some aluminum as well. Have pipe threaders, so no problem there. I tried shot in the pipe handles, but found it very overrated.......
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I am getting picky in my old age--it is allowed. I prefer longish heavy handles for the balance it gives. Like kyle I also like the feel of wood and for the last decade or so I find good buys on Bubinga, ebony, bow-arc, redheart ect. My fave is lignum vitae or rosewoods. Also I have quit using ferrels by leaving the front of the tool rounded and full. These woods with an epoxied in shaft are easily as strong as a small dia. nose of ash with a ferrel. The feel without the square end and ferrel and sharp edges is very pleasing especially with only a sanded/buffed carnuba finish. Look up the strengths of these tropicals if you wish. A tool has to prove its performance before it is awarded its dress handle.