Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Gloat - Stanley #55

I've been wondering for years what to do with my 55 which I also received from my grandfather....well actually from my grandmother shortly after my gf passed. Too cool a tool to let go of, yet not nearly worth my time to diddle with. I think for now I'll let it set on the shelf for another decade or so and pass it down another generation

JeffD

Its true, I do suck.

It is a very cool item to have. I intend to use it for tongue and groove and for plow purposes. Doubt I will try moldings.

I understand it can be a pain in the butt to use but there are possible learning opportunities there too. If it truly were a crap tool I doubt it would have been manufactured for 60 plus years. Maybe its crap because quarter sawn lumber is harder to get these days?

Who knows, I will enjoy screwing around with it and possibly cursing it along the way.

Blog Entries
    I understand it can be a pain in the butt to use but there are possible learning opportunities there too.
    The most difficult part is getting the cutting portions of the blade to fully remove material to make a path for the skates.

With the #55 it is compounded by having to get the adjustable skate set properly for the non-symmetrical blades. Setting it the same as the fixed skate for the regular (#45 usable) blades is not a problem.

After that the biggest hassle is sharpening the blades other than the plowing blades, slip stones and patience.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think it was probably an on-site solve all for archtectural work. That's my guess, at least. I think if you have a single purpose plane, the single purpose plane will work better every single time, but you can't put 50 of them in a small box and take it to repair a 2 foot long piece of trim in someone's house.

I used the 55 that I had as a plow plane, and like the 45, it worked well for that, and did do a roundover for the kitchen baseboard. The only real problem with it is that it's basically a chisel type cut. If you can plane downgrain the whole time, you don't ge greedy with cut depth and the cutters are sharp you can use it without issue, including the basic moulding profiles.

I did not feel this deserved a new thread so I resurrected this one to share tool success.

I am renovating my garage. I machined some wood down to 1.5"x1.5" and need a 1/4" groove to accept some plywood. Not having a 1/4" rabbeting bit I ran to the local Home Depot - they did not have one. While contemplating options I thought, why not try the #55. Took a few minutes to setup but once done it worked like a dream.

Tomorrow I will have to cut 192' of grooves with a #55. It will take a little while but be quiet and dust free.

55-groove.jpg

Blog Entries
    The #55 is better at doing lefty than the #45.

With a sharp blade they are a joy to use.

The Home Depot not having the bit you wanted may have been an omen.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-20-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: omen
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)