Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MRI Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MRI Question

My doc tells me I need an neck MRI to diagnose some arm pain that may be starting in the neck. On the phone the MRI facility asked me if I had ever been involved with "metal grinding". Of course as a woodworker I've sharpened tools on a wheel, drilled holes in metal etc. I'm hoping to get more answers from the techs tomorrow but has anyone here been through this? Are they concerned about stuff in the eye or ? that might be pulled by the magnet. Any information would be appreciated -- this is all rather alarming!

Blog Entries
    Yes, they're concerned about metal, though unless you have any chunks embedded in your skin I wouldn't worry about it. Drilling a few holes or sharpening some tools is not the same as working metal all day long.

The gauss level in an MRI machine is pretty impressive, and it can rip metallic implants right out of your body.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Likely a routine question.

There is some very strong magnetics going on during an MRI. The hardest part is keeping still while they are making the images.

After about 60 years of age depending on how wreak-less one was during life it becomes difficult each morning to determine if you have more aches or more pains.

Though I have not suffered many broken bones other than a slight skull fracture and a smashed finger I did get in a few bad situations. They didn't mess with me much when I was young, but the seem to come back to remind me in my later years.

Good luck, hope they find something that can be remedied instead of the "well, you will just have to live with it" they found for me.

For me, taking care of how I lay when falling asleep has a lot to do with how I will feel in the morning.

I tried a chiropractor, but that taught me, "the purpose of the spine was to support the chiropractor." (That is supposedly a quote from Daniel David Palmer, the founder of chiropractic medicine.)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    After about 60 years of age depending on how wreak-less one was during life it becomes difficult each morning to determine if you have more aches or more pains.

jtk
    +1 !!!!!!!!!

Likely a routine question.

jtk
    I often wake up wondering how it was possible to hurt myself while sleeping.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My wife is a violent sleeper so I have caught quite a few elbows there. Ive had my 2 year old at the time daughter shove her finger so hard up my nose it bled for an hour. Ive been poked in the eye. I once had an 5 lb crystal bowl dropped on my face that split my face open pretty good. Its safer to sleep alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    A fellow Creeker, Tyler J. Howell's mother lived to be age 92 IIRC. He said her favorite saying was "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

I am finding her opinion appears to be correct.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    A fellow Creeker, Tyler J. Howell's mother lived to be age 92 IIRC. He said her favorite saying was "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

I am finding her opinion appears to be correct.
    Getting old is a b--ch! But it sure beats the alternatives.

It seems waking up in the morning some parts of me have gotten very comfortable the way they are and will put up a fight to the end if they are requested to move.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Getting old is a b--ch! But it sure beats the alternatives.

It seems waking up in the morning some parts of me have gotten very comfortable the way they are and will put up a fight to the end if they are requested to move.

jtk
    My father died of a heart attack on the floor of an oil rig in 1972 6 weeks before his 48th birthday. I am the oldest of 6 and still had 3 siblings in HS at the time. Now in my mid-70s, I am grateful that when I wake up with arthritic pain, I am still alive.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    My father died of a heart attack on the floor of an oil rig in 1972 6 weeks before his 48th birthday. I am the oldest of 6 and still had 3 siblings in HS at the time. Now in my mid-70s, I am grateful that when I wake up with arthritic pain, I am still alive.
    My father also died too soon, but he smoked and didn't really take care of his health. I've survived long past his death age.

Mike

[Incidently, very good thread. I've learned a lot about an MRI.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-20-2024 at 11:14 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My father also died too soon, but he smoked and didn't really take care of his health. I've survived long past his death age.

Mike
    My mother had 4 older brothers. They all died fairly young - unfiltered Camels all day long. She lived to be 92.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    No one on either side of my family has ever made it to 80. I'm currently the oldest, and the number of candles required on the cake each year is making it really hard to stay optimistic.

Chronic TMB is a pretty relentless disease.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I had an MRI just ,maybe two weeks ago. They were looking for bad stuff ! Why can’t people be more upbeat ? I’m old and
    getting some kind of vertigo. But I would rather crawl than use a walker ! But a big go-cart would be OK.

My dad died at age 63 from a stroke, his dad passed at 48 from a brain tumor I will be 81 this July… thank you Lord!
    Yes I have had many MRIs.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I had an MRI about 18 months ago. About 18 months before that I got metal in the eye from grinding that was removed. They wouldn't do the MRI without xraying my eye to be sure the metal was all gone. I guess they didn't want any metal being pulled out of my eye, which is a good thing.