Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosscut sled on a slider

Crosscut sled on a slider

So I needed to cut some 2" x 2" squares I had veneered up for a chessboard. The one thing that I really miss about my old cabinet saw was the crosscut sled that I had made.....so Saturday I spend and hour or so and made one for my slider. The sled worked great, easy on and off, very accurate cuts. Just curious if anyone else has done this?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Hi Jeff, I made a jig that is clamped to my slider for ripping small plastic pieces.

It works great, only use it once a year kind of thing..........Rod.

Jeff - I don't understand. I kinda view my slider AS a very big and highly accurate crosscut-sled.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Larry, I view it the same way, in my case however I had to make a jig to hold a 1/2" X 1/2" X 4" strip that had to be ripped in half..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Jeff - I don't understand. I kinda view my slider AS a very big and highly accurate crosscut-sled.
    Yeah me too Larry, but I don't like cutting small things on the slider. I'll also add my outrigger is not on my saw much as space is an issue, I don't get accurate, repeatable cuts with the short crosscut fence that I use most of the time, so I figured a crosscut sled may be a better option. For cutting 2" squares it worked amazingly well. I use the stop block for the crosscut fence as a stop for the sled, that way it goes onto the same portion of the slider each time.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Another option would be the Charlie Plesums version of the "Fritz and Franz" jig. www.solowoodworker.com/mm/rip.html will get you to his site, and the Fritz and Franz original is also available there. It is a clever way of safely holding work on a slider.

There was a lengthy thread a while ago titled "Observations on Euro style sliding saw". Check it out as there were a few ideas. I built a jig that worked great for small pieces based on a few of the ideas thrown around.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing-saws/page9

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Yeah me too Larry, but I don't like cutting small things on the slider. I'll also add my outrigger is not on my saw much as space is an issue, I don't get accurate, repeatable cuts with the short crosscut fence that I use most of the time, so I figured a crosscut sled may be a better option. For cutting 2" squares it worked amazingly well. I use the stop block for the crosscut fence as a stop for the sled, that way it goes onto the same portion of the slider each time.
    Cool - thanks for the explanation Jeff. I thought I was doing something wrong. I keep the outrigger off my saw most of the time as well. For a short crosscut fence I use the one from my Jessem Masr-R-Slide. I have the slide mounted on my shaper but I had a machinist make me some solid brackets that mount in the top and side T-tracks on the slider that mount the fence to. They are solidly attached so I can remove and replace the fence to install other jigs. Works out well.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Hey, Jeff. What, no pics? Are you using the carriage or locking it in place and using the tables slot?

I've made a few for moving small parts past the big blade. Usually involves some Baltic birch scraps, a maple fence. I have some aluminum t's I made up on the Bridgeport to clamp things in the slider slot. I'm still using the carraige for movement, just need a backer and effective clamping strategy for small parts. I've made a few for miters, much easier to adjust and manipulate than the outrigger on a 10' slider, and on a long job at work where other guys are making cuts in between, it makes more friends not to tie up the primary panel saw on a weird angle for days. Come to think of it that's would be handy in the home shop. I know they sell premade angle jigs, but for the early $800 they cost I can buy a nearly lifetime supply of birch ply and cutoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Enders View Post
    Another option would be the Charlie Plesums version of the "Fritz and Franz" jig. www.solowoodworker.com/mm/rip.html will get you to his site, and the Fritz and Franz original is also available there. It is a clever way of safely holding work on a slider.
    Has anyone built and used this jig besides Charlie? Not that I doubt the usefulness of it, but it seems super easy and very useful. I will probably make one this week.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Hey, Jeff. What, no pics? Are you using the carriage or locking it in place and using the tables slot?
    LOL, sorry Johnny, not near professional enough of a sled to take pics of. I use the carriage to move the sled. The rear of the sled indexes on the block in the slider t-track that is used for the short crosscut fence. Super easy on and off. I may have to add a t-track with a stop block in a future build. I have seen the "hans and frans" design, but for small cuts I like to have a sled that supports both sides of the cut. I thought at 1st I might be loosing my mind by building this, but I have used it a couple times since and I will have to admit, it works extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ring View Post
    Has anyone built and used this jig besides Charlie? Not that I doubt the usefulness of it, but it seems super easy and very useful. I will probably make one this week.
    Yes. It works well and I use it often. Definitely worth the effort of building.
    P1060772a.jpg

14. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    So I needed to cut some 2" x 2" squares I had veneered up for a chessboard.
    I have made a couple of chessboards over the years and never once did I have to cut individual squares, if you know the 'trick' all you have to do is cut strips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I use jigs on my slider all the time. I also use a variation of the cross-cut fence but it is build with angled blocks to do 45 degree cuts. The 45 degree jig has a strip that fits into the "mitre guage slot" in the slider so it is always indexed correctly. For the plain cross cut sled, I just do as you do and clamp it to the rail of the sliding table.

Mike