Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocking Chair

Rocking Chair

This is the 5th Hal Taylor rocker I've built and I made some modifications to the design on this one. I extended the tops of the back legs by three inches for "horns" above the head rest. I also put a negative sweep on the head rest and reversed the profile on the tops of the back braces to compliment that shape. I'm pleased with the look. The primary wood is Black Walnut that I harvested and milled myself with my manual band sawmill and dried to 8% MC in my solar kiln. I used Ash for the middle laminations on the back braces and also for an accent strip on the rockers. I finished it with two coats of Danish Oil, applied 24 hours apart. After another 24 hours, I went over it with a 500 grit Abralon pad and then waxed it with neutral Briwax. Thanks for looking and C&C welcomed. Rocker001.jpg Rocker002.jpg Rocker003.jpg Rocker004.jpg
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Gorgeous job Cody. I wish I was sitting in that right now as a matter of fact. How does it ride?

Thanks, Pat. It rocks great. No bumps.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

That's a beautiful piece of furniture, Cody. I love the grain of the seat and the headrest. The back braces are distinctively graceful. You rock, Cody.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 09-18-2013 at 3:18 PM.

Awesome all the way around. I love the modifications.

I'm impressed you did this with your own harvest.

Yeah! I particularly like the modifications, its got an unusual blurry almost melting look.

That's a sweet chair! You did a fantastic job on it! How long did it take to build?

I built a Maloof style rocker two years ago. Definitely a labor of love with all the hand work involved. I made it for my daughter but cannot part with it yet and it still is in my living room.

Now that's a nice chair!!! It's truly gorgeous. Great job!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Wonderful job and I think all of your modifications are improvements on the design. Way to go!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Beautiful chair, excellent craftsmanship and gorgeous wood. I'd call it a winner.

WOW! What a great looking rocker! Congratulations on a fantastic job on a beautiful rocking chair.

Jim

Really nice work on the rocker. That seat has some beautiful grain.

Wow, that is an amazing piece of work !! Congrats, sir !
    MARK

You guys are too, kind. Thanks for all the nice comments. Brett, I didn't track the time on this chair but from previous builds, I expect it took about 50 hours to complete the woodworking. Also, the Walnut trees I harvested were all standing dead on a friend's farm. No living trees were cut down. Thanks again for the comments.
    Cody