Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major checking on walnut - what to do?

I didn't see nearly as many cracks on the inside, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Is storing a bowl upside down a no-no?

use anchorseal and wait. patience is the best prescription.

I have a nice stack of grocerybags in the corner of my garage waiting
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

The trick is minimal and even airflow. If you store it upside down, the inside does not get to dry as fast as the outside. Also, if it got hot up there on the top shelf in your TX summer, drying would be accelerated on the outside but not on the inside, where the moisture could not escape. If two sides of the bowl dry at different rates, the wood can't evenly compress, so it warps, or cracks possibly one side and not the other.

This is all theory...

The upside down thing is spot on IF you are putting it on a solid shelf. As long as you are putting it on a wire or grid type shelving unit (think closet shelf from the BORG), you'll get the necessary circulation to dry the inside.

And certainly, AnchorSeal is a great method, but it DOES take about 6 months for that to allow the roughout to dry, and it isn't 100% crack free, either. I've had some woods crack like crazy with AnchorSeal. I use both methods...it just depends on how quickly I want to get back to that piece.
    I drink, therefore I am.

how close to the end of the log was this piece taken from? Looks like checking that was there before you turned it.

If the checks are not already gunked up with wax, sealers ect you can thin epoxy or poly resin and fill them up. Takes several applications but is much cheaper than CA. Thin the resin enough to go to the crack bottoms. The stuff cuts off with a sharp tool afterwards.

I honestly can't remember, I cut up the logs some time ago and don't really remember what came from where.

Adam,

Good responses but something not mentioned is the form. With a wide flat bottom like on this small bowl will cause problems also. The sides are also a bit straight up and down. Try to round your form a bit more and use a smaller tenon size so you don't end up with such a flat bottom. This will assist the bowl in its moving and you will experience less checking.

9. Turquoise dust inlay would make you want more defects in you walnut!