Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trestle Bench From Reclaimed Douglas Fir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trestle Bench From Reclaimed Douglas Fir

Just finished this Friday and wanted to share. The DF was salvaged from some tall cabinet doors during a remodel I worked on awhile back. It's from the mid 1930's probably. The walnut was left over from other stuff. I documented this build on my blog at www.barringerwoodworks.squarespace.com if anyone is interested. The finish is a hand-rubbed oil and urethane mix, satin sheen. Pretty happy with it and I like the old hardware impressions and screw holes but I want to get back to the Shaker stuff. Let me know what you all think.

DSCN1945.jpgDSCN1983.jpgDSCN1970.jpgtrestleforsawmill2.jpgtrestleforsawmill.jpg

Oh, forgot to add, the white sheet was from my girlfriend's linen closet.

I absolutely love the simple clean lines of this! The color of the wood and the little additional contrasting wood. Simply stunning in my eyes! Well done sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks so much Ken!

Beautiful job! I love the warm color of aged df! It looks like it has very close growth rings. Was it difficult to work with?

Thanks! Yes the DF was difficult for me. Could have prepared and maintained my tool edges better. But even then it's hard to work by hand. Had some tearout in a few places that had to be cleaned up.

What character! I can't think of a better use for the salvage material. I have also used a lot of salvage lumber from old structures. I think fine wood is like fine wine in that it just seems to get better and develop more character with age.

Just plain beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice, I've never seen that type of a wedge use d to pull the bottom stretcher together. Or at least I guessing that the walnut that slips over the bottom stretcher tusk provides the means of tightening the bottom stretcher. Nice design and contrast there, thanks for sharing.

Absolutely stunning. The grain really pops and the contrasting wood is a beautiful touch.

George

Thanks Jim.

That must have been some heavy duty cabinet doors since the material looks to be over 1" thick. What was actual material thickness you salvaged? Very nice.

Well built bench, congrats on a great project.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Thank you Gordon!

Thanks Thomas. Yeah, it was awhile ago so it's hard to remember but they were some tall doors. It might actually have been a pantry door of some kind. They were panel doors and the original thickness was about 1 1/8". I planed it down to 1". The trestle (stretcher) came from the stile of a man door actually from the same house. That was about 1 1/4" if I remember right.