Thread: My First Large Burl

My First Large Burl

I purchased this 3' diameter oak burl from a guy who sells firewood. It was too big to fit on my mill. So it took some careful chains work to get it down to 24"x32" which is the max cut on my mill. I wound up with five 2.5" thick book matched sets and a few individual slices. Although it is not the crazy figure you see on some burls. I am quite pleased with them. Sometimes burls are too intense for something like an end or coffee table. Ill probably use one or two of the sets and sell the others. I had fun slicing this monster up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James White; 10-23-2013 at 9:31 PM.

I had some trouble uploading. But I think I got it now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice James, please post when you're finished whatever you decide to create.

James,
    Do you mind me asking what a burl like that sold for? I have often wondered. Some time ago driving near my shop I had seen a massive maple burl in a guys driveway. This burl was easily 5-6' in diameter. He said he had it out for bid, where I dont know, and had no idea where he'd gotten it but I always wondered what it went for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    James,
    Do you mind me asking what a burl like that sold for? I have often wondered. Some time ago driving near my shop I had seen a massive maple burl in a guys driveway. This burl was easily 5-6' in diameter. He said he had it out for bid, where I dont know, and had no idea where he'd gotten it but I always wondered what it went for.
    Mark,

I got it as part of a package deal with my firewood. Between my neighbor and I we purchased over 15 cord of wood and I was the one who negotiated the whole deal. However I was quoted $200 for a similar burl. That was from another logger who said he often sold logs to private saw mill operators. I don't know if he ever sold it. The problem is. Especially with oak. You never know what will be inside.

James
    Last edited by James White; 10-24-2013 at 2:29 PM.

That's nice James the last photo looks like a owl.I seen some burls that have monster faces in them yours looks like there going to be okay.

Looks like an owl to me as well.

Nice job on the cutting.

Actually, I am a little jealous of your skill, your mill and your talent.

Tom
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    That's nice James the last photo looks like a owl.I seen some burls that have monster faces in them yours looks like there going to be okay.
    That is a relief! I hear the church is getting top dollar for exorcisms now a days.

Edit:
    I just had another look. Set 2-3 is starting to worry me.

Thank you all for your comments.

James
    Last edited by James White; 10-25-2013 at 4:10 PM.