Thread: Chopmaster Blade Tear-out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't know if I can adjust the alignment - will have to check tomorrow, but I don't think so. Also I could have a runout issue. I'll need a dial indicator to check that.
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

I'd expect a better cut. Somethings wrong with the saw or the blade or both....have any other blades to compare it to?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The blade that came with the saw (which I assumed would be next to useless) gives comparable results. I'm thinking it's got to be the alignment or runout. I will continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks!

Check the run-out ... since you've had the problem from the start, the problem is most likely with the flange that the blade is tightened.
    A dial indicator would help, but, not completely necessary to see the run-out.
    Put a (perpendicular to the blade) pencil to the blade ... just touching the blade ... and carefully rotate the blade 360*.
    When you come-around full-circle ... if there's run-out ... there will be a gap between the pencil and the blade.
    'Lock' the pencil in-place with some tape ... use a feeler gauge to measure the gap.
    Lacking a feeler gauge ... use pieces of newspaper = about .002 per piece.

Very good advice! I'll do this tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I'll report when I get to the bottom of this.

Blog Entries
    Yep, you're on track now. If two blades give similar problems (even understanding the difference in quality of the blades) I would lean toward the saw. A quick alignment check should tell the tale.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler