Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plate joining jig for mitered corner box parts

If I were doing hundreds of them (ok, more than 10) I would use the lock mitre bit. Someone, don't know if he is a member here or not, invented a gauge (for lack of a better word) for the measurements. It is pretty darn accurate and usually a perfect job on the first one. Yes you do have to orientate the board in two different positions. Thats what makes it so useful. I would run say a 4' foot board (the board would have to be the width of the side) through on each end, and just cut to length. Seems like the way to go with that many.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage View Post
    Hi Mike,

These boxes are cremation urns, so I have the same concern about longevity, plus the issue of alignment which the biscuit should help with too. Have you setup a jig for doing these? I already built what I'm planning on using (pics above) but am always interested in the creativity of others.
    Look at post #3 in this thread. I have a link there.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

After gluing up the box completely I round off all the edges including this miter joint in my sander. Possibly any gap is sanded off and not noticeable.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I think it's a freud bit, but there are a bunch of very similar ones. It's good for high volume in my opinion. The setup is the longest part, then I go through some efforts to make sure that the boards cant lift off the bit during the cut, since it is cutting a miter and a groove. Nice to use a backer if you can.
    Thanks Brian. How important, or is it important that the material is 3/4"? The material I'm buying is already planed to right about .82". Without a backer board, how tough is it to do these without chipout?
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Lots of excellent advice and input guys, greatly appreciate all of your help!
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3