Thread: Miniature Tools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Miniature saws - a collection just for fun but useful in building small projects. Ralph

Dove Tail & Miniature Miter Saws handy for small work. Ralph

What size file do you use to for sharpening? lol

Hi, Max (and girlfriend).

I appreciate your interest. I use a very very small file for sharpening.
    Just kidding - I actually use commercial hobby saw blades cut to size and drilled to fit and typically fitted with a pressed brass hard back.

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph Juarros; 03-18-2014 at 9:18 PM.

A couple of stair maker saws. Ralph

A pair of miniature hand saws. Ralph

Quick question what kind of wood and finish are you using I like the way your handles came out.

Hi, Max.
    I appreciate your observations, and your question is interesting. It is one that I continue to ponder and explore. For miniature tools, such as these two saws, I like to use tight-grained wood that appears genuine with miniature tools. With these two items I used Cocobolo and Bocote for that small, tight grain appearance. Large grained wood does not appear genuine at that small scale. I have explored many domestic and exotic wood types for this purpose including Mahogany, Rosewood, Walnut, and even Misquite to achieve the desired miniature appearance. But I continue to experiment with wood types that would lend the proper look and am open to suggestions. I would appreciate any ideas? For the finish on wood articles I like to use pure Tung Oil--hand rubbed a thousand times. Thanks again for your interest.
    Ralph

Remember this 1/4 scale Bull nose plane?

Then came 1/8 scale:

Then, what else but 1/16 (or Pistachio) scale:

And, yes, they all actually work

Ralph

Amazing bull noses, I might even use a tiny one (never do the standard size ones).

Thanks Jack. Little planes are well suited for small projects, but I'd keep the bigger ones just in case. . . Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Juarros View Post
    Thanks Jack. Little planes are well suited for small projects, but I'd keep the bigger ones just in case. . . Ralph
    I've proven to myself that larger bull noses don't do anything for me, much prefer a chisel. Think it's time to sell that one LN that's been sitting in a box forever. I am thinking of actually starting a project to make several miniature boxwood planes. Not as small as yours, though, would be more or less impossible in boxwood.