Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw-less workshop

Tablesaw-less workshop

I am seriously considering getting rid of my tablesaw. I have come to love my bandsaw, router table, or hand tools for just about everything the tablesaw does.

Selling my tablesaw would free up some space (and $$) in my small shop for a cyclone dc, jointer/planer combo, and a drum sander.

I have already considered how I would do most operations on alternate tools. I would like to hear from those who (a) think this is a mistake, or (b) who have already made the switch; how do you like it?

It would cripple my work to remove the table saw. For you? I have no idea how you work or what you make. Ever try to rip another .010" off the side of a board on a bandsaw? Cross cut plywood on the bandsaw? It's been discussed many times, mostly by the tracksaw guys, but you'll never convince me.

"Ever try to rip another .010" off the side of a board on a bandsaw?" This is an operation that is properly done with a handplane. It is what a handplane is designed to do. So this is a non-issue.
    While I have a tablesaw, I rarely use it, it frightens me. So I am pretty much a tablesawless shop. I do have a bandsaw, router table (FWIW, I prefer the router table to a hand-held), jointer, planer, drill press, sanders - belt, spindle, and grinders. I have a full collection of handtools that are usually my preferred tools.
    I could easily get by without a tablesaw, but then I build primarily 18th century style furniture. If I were using sheet goods for cabinetry, then a tablesaw would be more useful.
    It really comes down to what you make and how you work.
    My suggestion is to ignore the tablesaw for the next three projects and see if you miss it, then go from there.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I don't use a tablesaw in my shop, but I have a small hand tool focused shop. Power tools are limited to bandsaw, lathe and jointer/planer combo. I don't use sheet goods though. I do have a cheap Craftsman table saw in the garage, that is used only for sheet goods, jig/shelf/rough work etc.

The table saw would be the last tool to go. I have a tracksaw and it is not a replacement by a long shot. I use the tablesaw on every project.

Prashun, I can't imagine working without one. If I had something like an MM20 or M24 or even larger, I might give it more consideration, but, as much space as mine takes up, and as much time I'm now putting in to rebuilding my outfeed table, I still can't imagine working without one. And I do have a track saw and use it all the time for sheet goods, so I have that ability.

Still, the quality of the table saw cuts always wins.

I built substantial cabinets into the base of the table saw / router table, and that helped with the space issue. Still takes up floor space, but lots of stuff can be stored inside.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I am in the keep it camp, I don't know what I would do without my table saw. Like Mike state it depends a lot on what you make, I like to make a little bit of everything and use the table saw on just about every project I do.

I know I can rip on the band saw but I have never been able to get as good of a cut on the band saw as I do with my GLR blade on the table saw. I also don't know how I would crosscut a board 48" long on the band saw.

I don't use a lot of sheet goods but I do use a lot of MDF for templates and I would have a real problem cutting them out on a band saw.

There are many ways to do the same thing in woodworking, Mike said use a hand-plane, if I did that at this time in woodworking all I would do is screw up the board.

I am not afraid of the table saw but I do respect it a whole lot.

I'm a serious hobbyist and been woodworking for close to 40 years now (since I was a teen). I finished a huge home remodeling project that included building kitchen cabinets and a huge island. I used my tracksaw system for about 90% of the cuts. Did mostly long rips, dados, & rabbets on the TS. So for this reason, space considerations, & probably being burned out from the big project I sold my 5-year old Unisaw (52" Biese fence - making the assembly almost 80" long). After a few months I decided I needed a smaller TS so purchased one of the benchtop saws on a folding wheeled stand. It works OK but not being able to use all the full size cabinet saw accessories and less room between the blade and front of table are issues. Just this past weekend a found an old Uni and plan to restore it and keep it simple this time and not have a huge wing/fence to the right since I have a tracksaw system for ply. So guess for me I tried to go w/o the TS but just didn't feel comfortable not having one.

Mike

Mike's suggestion to pretend you don't have a tablesaw for the next few projects is as sound advice as you can get. When I made a choice between keeping either my radial arm or tablesaw, the t.s. went and I've never looked back. Changing your approach to how you process your work helps, and one of my factors for unloading the t.s. was that although it is great for sheet goods, when I need that material the home center is happy to make precuts for me, and the Radial makes the refined dimensions I want. If necessary, it can do anything the t.s. did, in only 20% of the floor space formerly occupied by the t.s., and having done this for several years now, I have never found an occasion to regret my Spartan tool choice.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

What about setting up a work table/station with a small section of the top missing in the middle or somewhere that would allow you to use a track saw? You could still cut large plywood and the rest of the time it could used for other things. Has anyone doe this, is it a good idea?

Thanks for all the comments so far.
    I realize this is a personal decision, but these comments are helping inform my decision.
    I do agree that crosscutting panels is something I'll miss.

Didn't I read where Keith or one of the moderators recently went to a tablesawless shop? I read someone picked up a new Felder band saw.

Found it: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...B-610-Band-Saw
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 12-03-2013 at 11:34 AM.

I am currently transitioning to a shop without a table saw. I have piled all kinds of stuff on my table saw and it hasn't been used for several months now. I did upgrade to a 22" band saw and I own an old panel saw I use to break down sheet goods so the table saw won't be missed when its gone. There was a time when I would never have considered a shop without a table saw but things can change.

I have a track saw but it hasn't been used in several years, doesn't take up any space either so I will keep it just in case.

Rich, I was the one who recently purchased the Felder band saw. Here is the link to the thread I started on my new band saw slider:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lider-with-Pic
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-03-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    There is no requirement for a tablesaw in a shop any more than there is a requirement for a block plane. Many folks work without a tablesaw. I use it on every project but, I use it a lot of different ways and find it nearly as versatile as a router. As to removing .010" accurately with a hand plane, that is a level of skill. If you have never used a tablesaw that can leave a glass smooth edge while accurately taking off .010" then you are likely to miss your tablesaw less .

Gary Rogowski had an article years ago on the top tools for a shop and the tablesaw was way down the list. When I am making Maloof-esque joinery type pieces, the tablesaw only serves to breakdown material and do dado's and dovetails. These could be done another way. I love my bandsaws and could not do without them. If I had to give up one or the other due to catastrophic events, I would lose the tablesaw first because I could accomplish those tasks that it does so elegantly, some other way . . . . . eventually.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    "Ever try to rip another .010" off the side of a board on a bandsaw?" This is an operation that is properly done with a handplane. It is what a handplane is designed to do. So this is a non-issue.

Mike
    Do that on a couple pieces of 8' long, 8/4 figured hard maple, and you can still think it's a non issue? Sawing would take 1 minute of less. In fact the table saw cuts would be finished before I would even get the boards to the vise and get out the hand plane. Hand plane for 10 minutes since you have to reverse some directions and scrape a couple of areas because of tear out. It would be an issue for me.