Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any good I-Box tutorials out there?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any good I-Box tutorials out there?

Too yucky out to go out to the shop so I'm just dreaming about trying out my new I-Box. Besides the manual and video that came with, any good third-party tutorials on it? Google didn't turn much up.

Did you watch the DVD? Not good enough??
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I agree with Mike. The included DVD is excellent and easy to understand.
    I had seen somebodys video elsewhere but was not at all impressed enough to bookmark it or try to remember. Once you get "hands on", I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Blog Entries
    +2. The jig only does one thing. I skipped the DVD and just used the paper instructions that come with it. It is like assembling RTA furniture or one of those metal garden sheds; if I think about it too much it becomes difficult. If I just plod through the directions without question, at the last step everything is fine. Is there a particular setting or operation that is not working for you? Right or left tilt?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with all, the manual is about all you need, in fact I don't know what I did with the DVD, never watched it.

At this point the only thing I could say is to make sure you loosen the lock on top before you start to adjust the jig and make sure you tighten it back after you adjust it.

Add me to the crowd. I was hesitant to try it out at first cause it "seemed" complex... But it really is very simple to use and the video is very good.. Putting it together is harder than using it..

This was my first use of the jig. I was surprised at how accurate it was .. Subsequent use has been even better.

The video is good, I was just looking to kill some couch time with something more interesting than what's left on our DVR. Plan to get out there today and actually give it a try.

Nice gun case! I'm supposed to get my grandfather's shot gun--I guess its not really usable anymore but definitely want it to stay in the family. I think I'll stick your picture in my file for when the time comes.

This will likely be my first project with it, but in maple to match LOMLjr's furniture.
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-02-2014 at 2:05 PM.

Matt, that's a funny coincidence about your grandfathers shotgun... This was actually my grandfathers rifle he got new in 1938.. The case is made out of the 100yr old rock maple flooring from his boyhood "house on the Prairie" in North Dakota.. He tore the house down in 1984 board by board and built a storage building with it on his farm.. After his death I found the entire floor of that old house stacked in the back of the building.. The Millers Falls plane and brace setting on the case in the picture was his as well...

Yet another thread that cost me money.

The I-Box has been on my want list since it came out (just not at the top of the list until now) - so I ordered one today. And for argument sake I'll blame it on Matt for making me think about it and Allen for closing the sale with nifty pictures.

All joking aside, Incra makes some of my favorite products, so I have a feeling that I'll have another winner! This should be just the ticket for an upcoming blanket chest project.
    Stan

The I- Box is a great jig and I've made a few but always struggle on how to do the bottoms and tops. Which way do all of you prefer?

Hi Glenn and Matt,
    I know you both have the Sawstop PCS 3HP. I have the same saw. Does the I-Box work with Sawstop without triggering the brake?
    Mike

The country known as Washington (a/k/a The State of Washington)

Dentils

You can use it to make dentils......
    You can make the fingers stand proud and sand them over a bit rounding them over a bit....
    You can........

Well, the club's I-Box I did a test setup at home and got fairly close. I set it up again at our club meeting on the host's saw and got within .015 and dialed it right in with calipers. Since I was trying to explain and do at the same time I made a couple mistakes--started to move the red knob without unlocking, moved the red knob while explaining, etc, so it was probably not a good test.

Wednesday my new one showed up. Again the measurements match Alan's. I just set it up and did a test cut. Perfection. Actually probably too perfect--I'd probably loosen it up a couple thousandths if I was going to really assemble it.

Now I need to go find Alan's thread on building a dust hood for the back side.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Well, the club's I-Box I did a test setup at home and got fairly close. I set it up again at our club meeting on the host's saw and got within .015 and dialed it right in with calipers. Since I was trying to explain and do at the same time I made a couple mistakes--started to move the red knob without unlocking, moved the red knob while explaining, etc, so it was probably not a good test.

Wednesday my new one showed up. Again the measurements match Alan's. I just set it up and did a test cut. Perfection. Actually probably too perfect--I'd probably loosen it up a couple thousandths if I was going to really assemble it.

Now I need to go find Alan's thread on building a dust hood for the back side.
    Glad to hear all is well!

As far as a rear dust shroud, you have a number of options:

• If you are experienced heat forming plexiglass you can make a fancy looking one from that, but getting something that looks nice without bubbles or burned areas can be difficult.

• You can bend some sheet metal, but be careful of this one, you don't want to damage the blade or fire a Sawstop.

• The quickest and easiest is to make your own version of the rear guard from stacked MDF. Use your bandsaw to make an opening for the dust.

Bulkhead hose fittings and elbows are available from a number of the usual suspects.

Disclaimer: None of these mods are approved by INCRA so you use them at your own risk:

Horizontal back- best of the two plexi versions I tested:

Sloped back:

MDF version:

Angle the elbow and hose to the nearest side of the table. Don't run it back towards you because the vac hose coils will catch on the rear edge of the table or fence rail and impede feeding the I-BOX.

Reading Alan's comments I just can't see anything I've got wrong. Remember I'm not talking loose, I'm talking 1/32 to 3/64 gaps. That's huge on a box joint. Since we'll be snowed in for at least 24 hours starting tonight I'm planning to make my daughter her shelves with it. I expect it will work fine once I complete the extra calibration steps mine seems to require. Hopefully Incra has some insight on Monday.