Thread: Installing a LV vise screw - okay to use an oversized hole?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Installing a LV vise screw - okay to use an oversized hole?

Hey all. So, I'm making some progress on my bench build, and I'm about to drill the holes to mount my leg vise screw which is 11/8" thick. Here's the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...59,41661,41664

The problem is that I have a 1 1/4" bit. So, for those who have done this before, should I go get a 1 1/8" bit or do you think it's okay to drill an oversized hole? My forstner bit set is in 1/8" increments except for this size. !!!

i don't see how it would make much difference in this application. fwiw, spade bits are cheap and much faster than forstner bits for drilling a through hole.

1 1/4" bit is fine. You don't want the screw dragging on the outside walls!

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know why I didn't think of spade bits. They definitely do drill much faster. I can't wait to get this bench finished.

I would take the opportunity to complete the Forstner set. It's only $13.

Whatever you decide, it may be a good idea to start the hole with the forstner to get that clean edge and then once the spade pops out the other side, do the same.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

The size of the hole is not critical. The metal flanges locate the screw within the hole.

Get the right size bit so the screws that hold the flange have enough material to bite into.