Thread: elm burl results

elm burl results

First contribution to this (or any) site. A customer told me she had some elm she had hauled to Colorado from Missouri from a tree that was destroyed in an ice storm 7 yrs. ago. There were four 6" slabs that were 3 to 4 feet in diameter. Must have weighed 2-300 lbs. apiece green, but they had split and when I dropped one it just shattered. I did, however get a burl about 30" long and 16" diameter at it's widest point.

Here are the results. I got 6 bowls ... one goes to my customer ... selling the rest. They are finished with Danish oil ... three coats soaked in as much as I could ... then wet sanded with thru 2000 grit. Lots of hand sanding. The 2,000 was a little overkill, but I had it so I used it.

Living in Colorado, I do lots of aspen bowls and lamps that I sell at Farmer's Markets, but we don't have much hardwood here. I do get some American elm from time to time, but this doesn't look like elm at all.

Most of the stuff I do is pretty simple, so this is the first thing I thought I dare show this sophisticated group. I know they aren't perfect, but your comments and criticism are welcome. Kind of wondering if I might put a tougher finish .. but really like the texture of the wood like it is.

I've been a longtime lurker and just became a member. I've truly enjoyed and learned so much from all of you.DSC00167.jpgDSC00168.jpgDSC00171.jpg
    Last edited by Gary Baler; 01-27-2014 at 4:55 PM.

Well, unfortunately the photos didn't come up. If any of you can tell me how to load a photo it would help this old geezer from being completely embarrassed.

Hey Gary, welcome to the Creek. Are you involved with Pikes Peak Woodturners? They often pick up "firewood" the city is selling and resell it to members. No shortage of hardwood, mostly yard trees, but not the stuff people in other parts of the country see. Send me a PM if you can't find any. I have more than I can use.

The photos are a multi-step process. You have to drag them to the bottom after you upload, then click "insert inline" or something.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I put my photos on a separate photo-hosting site (I use one that's associated with my internet service provider, but there are lots out there). It's free, and once they're on there, I can put 'em up on a forum by hitting the "insert image" tab that comes up at the top of the text area when I'm typing my post. When the "insert image" box comes up on the screen, I click on the "from URL" tab and paste in the link to the photo. Make sure you unclick the "retrieve remote file" box before hitting OK. This way, all the SMC site does is link to your hosted photo, it doesn't have to store the image file itself.

OK ... I got 3 of 6 posted. Better than nothing. Reshot the pictures in a smaller format. Going to have to get a program to reduce them.

Doug, planning to go to the PP woodturners next wed. Went years ago ... but was busy building lamps and stuff then. The turnings are something I've started in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    OK ... I got 3 of 6 posted. Better than nothing. Reshot the pictures in a smaller format. Going to have to get a program to reduce them.

Doug, planning to go to the PP woodturners next wed. Went years ago ... but was busy building lamps and stuff then. The turnings are something I've started in the last year.
    They're a good group. Meetings are too late and too far for me - talk about old age.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I can't really tell what it is from the pictures, they are not clear enough, however if it is Elm, it would be Rock Elm, hard and dense and very tough Elm, and have that color.
    Have fun and take care

I think you did a great job! I also like the natural shape.

i like the wood, chunck and all, nice pieces