Thread: Triton Routers - Another thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Dad has run the 2-1/4HP one for years. There is a knob to lock the height. Your satisfaction with the cut when not locking the height will be directly proportional to your requirement ;-) The only other bothersome design of the router is the power switch. Let me see if I can get this straight; it has to be in the off position in order to raise and lock the collet for bit changes, you have to slide a spring loaded cover over and turn it on manually. This is only if you raise the collet up to lock and change bits, not during any other function. I would bypass this switch and use an external one but, dad has just made do. This is the only negative I can even remotely think of about the router. The supplied dust shroud has let dad hook a small vac directly to the router and he has never enclosed his table!?! Not a lift by any means but, bad deal at all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mark

I have used a Triton 2.25hp router on my table for two years. There is a push lock which you can reach under the table to lock the collect if you need to. I use and a bent wrench most of the time. I leave the switch in the on positioon and use an external switch to turn it on. Some have disabled the interlock but I have never needed to. If it is something you would want to do you can find a web site here which shows how it was done.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/tips/tritonInterlock.html

However, be aware that some safety systems are disabled when you do this and you probably would never be able to sell the router modified like this with out be liable for any injuries suffered by the person you sold it to. This is one of the reasons I have not done the mod but have never felt the need to. It is a great router for mounting under a table and has a very good system to raise and lower it from above the table. Once in position it has a lock lever and does not move.

Blog Entries
    +1 to the statements posted above. The position lock is fine; I don't quite understand how you would by-pass the switch but then I haven't wanted to. I use a safety switch to start the router with a paddle handle for quick off. As far as turning the router switch on and off to change bits, it isn't that big a hassle - I don't make a lot of bit changes but I guess if you were changing several times in an afternoon it might get tiresome. The only negative comment I have read is addressed by mounting the router in a table - it is way too heavy to use in portable mode.

For me as a hobbyist, it meets the need of an above the table adjustment and easy bit change in a quality router at a reasonable price (especially when you combine the cost of a quality router and a lift.).