Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacuum chuck/pump questions

Mine sits in a cabinet right next to the lathe - same rolling cabinet with drawers that my grinder sits on. The front is sealed, the back is open (with a little filter material over it). Has never gotten warm enough to trip the thermister - yet. As far as any noise - the cabinet muffles most and a sintered metal filter on the inlet seems to soften what's left.

Hi Scott,
    I've just put together a vacuum system (although I'm using a cheap HF pump) and can pull 25+ with it. I wanted to enclose mine to keep choking it with dust and to minimize the slight oil mist that can come from the pump I'm using. I figured that putting it into a cabinet would be a heat issue so I built a little wood frame around it and covered the sides and top of the frame with that blue fiberglass furnace filter you can buy at Lowes/Depot. Comes in a 30x20 sheet and two surrounded the pump nicely.

It's designed to filter air so heat buildup shouldn't be an issue and it also serves as a slight barried to the oil mist issue.

Don't know if that helps or not but good luck and happy vacuuming lol.

Jim

Scott
    I put my pump in a 3 sided top and bottom cart, I have a 5" fan behind the pump blowing across and out the open 4th side. It still get's really warm.
    Let us now if you find some way to quit this thing.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.