Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sliding table saw

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    What is the size of that saw? Looks like a homeowner size saw. Be cool to live in an area you can actually buy a good used slider.
    That would be one well equipped homeowner. A Uni/PM is in no way comparable to that saw, and is just a dream for Grizzley

Larry

I use slick 50 on the bearing rails. Check the outrigger support too. they are often packed with dust and make the slider seem rough when the problem is the support. Good luck, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    That would be one well equipped homeowner. A Uni/PM is in no way comparable to that saw, and is just a dream for Grizzley

Larry
    Agree with Larry here - I have one of these and came from a Uni and there is just no comparison. Nice score Paul, looks like it cleaned up very well - you will be happy with it.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Congrats, Paul. One tip I might suggest (and possibly you already thought of this...) would be to dismount the cast iron rip fence knuckle and buff out the inner bore with a Scotchbrite pad. I do this even on new machines and it really improves the feel. Also, I might put one of the mini Scotchbrite buffs on the flexible wand of a Dremel tool, get inside the cabinet, and buff out the acme threads on the raising/lowering and tilting screws. I would bet they look just like your rip fence guide bar did, before.

Best of luck with it,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

Larry
    I was thinking the same thing. Pretty sure SCMI doesn't do consumer grade.

The slider on that saw looks like one on a Hammer saw. The SCMi my friends have is a monster, with a 10 foot slider.

Thanks everybody. I'm pretty happy with the saw!

I spent the snow day getting it set up. I just have to build an outfeed table for it.
    I'll take the outrigger support off tomorrow, the slider works well, but could be smoother. I used silicone spray on the rails.
    Good point Eric, I'll try and get to the raise/lower and tilt stuff. I did clean the inside of the rip fence and am amazed at how well it glides across the table.

I originally wanted a saw the size of the SI 12, then found an SI 16 on craigslist and was going to look at it. Then this SI 12 came up for almost $2,000 less and I went and bought it. The 16 is still available if anyone's interested. It's on the Lancaster craigslist.

Here's a picture of the shop. I set the shaper up while I was at it. It's been sitting for a year. I have a couple of cabinet jobs coming up that I'll put them to use on.

Thanks again,
    Paul
    WholeShop2.jpg

Nice shop and machine Paul!