Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urban Lumber Harvesting Questions

Thanks for all the info everyone! Many thanks.

Myk, is this one leaning too much. It does lean a little. The tree forks about a foot from the ground.

photo 2.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Thanks again
    -Bob

That's what these guys do.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/Resource...tomSawyer.aspx

The wood is probably OK, but may have hardware in it from clotheslines, years past.
    I have cut several trees. Can get some interesting stuff, curly grain, etc.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 03-09-2014 at 6:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    These are bargain prices.

The Downes and Reader website in nearby Stoughton, MA list prices nearly double these.
    I wonder if this sawyer is provided with these large logs at no cost?

I tried to get the local tree service to give me several "burly" logs from a neighbor's yard.
    I got the typical "Masshole" response.

There's no way they milled any of it; it all goes into mulch.

*sigh*
    I would say air dried is why. Those prices are noth that low in my opiniom. May have missed it but didt see if his prices were for KD. If they are for air dried they are in line or even high for me. I can buy green walnut for around a buck a foot. Dont know why I would. But air drying isnt worth much over green to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I would say air dried is why. Those prices are noth that low in my opiniom. May have missed it but didt see if his prices were for KD. If they are for air dried they are in line or even high for me. I can buy green walnut for around a buck a foot. Dont know why I would. But air drying isnt worth much over green to me.
    I kinda thought air drying was desireable for Walnut, though. Better color?

Bob, last year we had 17 ash trees taken down due to the Emerald Ash Borer.

I contacted several local portable sawmill owners and they all said the same thing, "if we hit a nail, you pay for the blade"

No big deal.

However I decided to build a sawmill and milled them myself.............It was well worth it........Rod.

Rick Hearne prefers air dried lumber for it's stability.
    I suppose he knows more about the process than I.

Very little of what's available to me, outside the large lumber yards is kiln dried.
    I'm not sure why kiln drying would be superior - the process can induce problems in otherwise stable boards.
    That's particularly true if it's rushed.

The are certainly parts of the country with better prices for a given species,
    but anything less than $4/board foot for anything other than Pine or Poplar is cheap in the North East.

Most lumber advertised for less in my little corner of the world is S2S at best, and not realistic about waste in the evaluations.

http://www.kolteslumber.com/lumber_grades