Thread: Most complex pen of my life!

Most complex pen of my life!

Well, here is the latest using the Freedom Pen Corian. The title says it all, most complex pen I have ever turned. I think I will quit for the day and have a cocktail...

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is an absolute knockout. Have 2 cocktails, you deserve it.

Great job.

The piece of wood it is laying on is not too shabby either.

Bob

What Bob Said...

...and a round of applause!

Regards,
    Colleen

O-My! That is fantastic After you recover I hope you post the process you went through to complete that great pen. Thanks for posting it. Dave

Wow! That really looks terrific! Definitely worth the complexity you must have gone through. Would love to see a larger image. Great job!
    Ken

I do things diff'r'nt!

Chris,

How ON earth did you do that? I have a prob;em with blanks coming apart at the glue seam. Any words of wisdom?
    Mark

Opps--BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

Wow, that is a great looking pen! Whoever receives that is one lucky person!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kudos. Now, about the construction; I will do my best to describe the process I used. First, take 2 strips of corian about 7-8" long and glue them together (white and blue or white and red) along the long axis. If you drilled and turned this piece right now it would be white on one side of the pen and the color you chose on the other. Glue another pair of strips exactly like the first using the other color that you didn't use in the first. This gives you one white and blue blank and one white and red blank. I took these to my chop saw and set it to 45 degrees and cut segment approximately 1/2" thick from both blanks. Then glue the segments in alternating colors. I use Gold thin CA and mild accelerator. Once your blank is completely glued up inspect the segments and wick in some additional CA along the seems and coat with accelerator. I use a hair dryer to dry the blank and cure out the glue. Carefully cut the blank into the necessary segments and drill for the pen tubes (be very careful and don't rush it, keep clearing the bit). After you glues up the tubes trim off as much of the edges with a bandsaw as possible. I use a clamp to hold the blanks while doing this for safety. Then to the lathe; turn the blanks at normal speed but use light passes with a small gouge that is very sharp. Corian will dull a tool fast to keep an eye on your edge. Once down to the desired shape sand with 220-400 sandpaper (just what I had available) and then polish with automotive rubbing compound and finish off the blank with EEE polish or similar.

Good Luck!

That's a great looking pen. I'm sure one of our troops will be very happy to receive it.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator