Thread: The Woodwright Shop quality

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes I have noticed the same thing.
    As others point out he is working in real time and has hardly any time.

I think the thing to know, in my opinion, is that he is excited about the whole, hand tool / from tree to finished project aspect. Kind of a conveyer of how THEY did it back when.

That is his thing. Not fine cabinetry.
    You want perfection and fast watch Frank Klausz. But he takes longer than a few minutes though.

I don't know. I watched Roy do a bridal joint yesterday on a saw sharpening pony.

He said "you need to trim the cheeks to fit the gap in the mating board" . . . roughly that was what he was saying. Then he takes a chisel and goes at it like he had no idea and it didn't fit.
    BUT
    he was out of time and needed to move on.
    If he would have had a few more minutes he might have grabbed a rabbet block plane or a skew block or a shoulder plane or a router plane to trim the cheeks nice.

Or have clamped the board so he could have used his chisel in a more precise manner.

Right at the end, the music was playing, he did a real nice job with a large bit in a brace cutting the arch for the saw handle where the bit had to be really sharp so it could over lap the side of the work and still cut a smooth arch. He did good there.

I say . . . read his books, listen to what he tells you because he DOES KNOW what he is talking about and then watch the shows for some light entertainment and to see the guests he has on and just relax about the whole precision thing because it is what it is.

PS: It only takes reading what he has to say about the finer aspects of making draw bore pegs ("trunnels") for post and beam construction etc., to realize he is the real deal.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-20-2014 at 2:50 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.