Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Hand Tool Organizers

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    the subject is still viable, I see no problem. I don't know why people have a problem with discussing such things again (still?). ;-)
    When
    Reviving old threads is considered a breach of etiquette by some crusty individuals at a certain ski forum I've been involved in, so my first instinct was to apologize even though I certainly thought the subject is very interesting. I guess I'm not used to how civil, tolerant, and helpful the SMC community is yet. Anyway, I only found this thread because someone posted a link in another thread, a fact I forgot by the time I finished all four pages, so clearly I'm not the only one who loves seeing the many ways woodworkers deal with the plethora of tools they have.

I started screwing a frame to the half sheet of pegboard today but ran out of 3/4" clear pine and short screws, so it'll be another day or so before I can hang it. So I played around with some scrap and figured out that I can shape the holes for that simple chisel rack everyone and their Aunt Mabel uses by just wrapping sandpaper around dowels. Of course that led me to conclude that it's time to spring for some reasonably priced files and/or rasps to supplement the one little worn out file I appropriated from my dad decades ago. I'm sure more than one exhaustive conversation about that topic will turn up in a forum search, though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Steve, beautiful but you need more planes With envy,
    Well, that makes me feel better about not having too many tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Reviving old threads is considered a breach of etiquette by some crusty individuals at a certain ski forum I've been involved in,
    My only thought as to why, is what I thought I knew eight years ago is in many cases quite different than what I have since learned. Other than a little embarrassed back peddling if an old thread has good legs, why not add to the knowledge in one place instead of shoving it off to the digital waste bin and starting anew?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My only thought as to why, is what I thought I knew eight years ago is in many cases quite different than what I have since learned. Other than a little embarrassed back peddling if an old thread has good legs, why not add to the knowledge in one place instead of shoving it off to the digital waste bin and starting anew?

jtk
    Agree 100%

jtk
    Indeed, and this wonderful collection of inspiration and a few charmingly neurotic rants clearly fits the bill. After all, I didn't say the cranky old dudes were right; they were just ill-tempered enough to want to avoid their attention. I only go back if I have a ski tuning question I can't resolve elsewhere, because there are some very sharp pros (pun intended) in the tuning forum who are always happy to help.

Here's mine:

27.jpg29.jpg30.jpg

How do you close that angular top piece without the tools falling out?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    How do you close that angular top piece without the tools falling out?
    They are free standing chisel racks, held in place with cleats. I just lift them up, put them down on the middle shelf. When the lid is closed they are sandwiched between the narrow half shelf and the front of the lid.
    24.jpg22.jpg
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 05-07-2016 at 1:25 AM. Reason: added 2nd picture

If this will make everyone feel better:

This _is_ the organized state. Yes. The tool tray is where I'm keeping all my tools. What else is the tool tray for anyway?

https://goo.gl/photos/wcbi7rQeAYQC4UmR9

Fixing my shop org issues is this weekends project. I'm trying to get a rack for behind the bench up and populated.
    Last edited by Matthew Springer; 05-06-2016 at 8:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    If this will make everyone feel better:

This _is_ the organized state. Yes. The tool tray is where I'm keeping all my tools. What else is the tool tray for anyway?

https://goo.gl/photos/wcbi7rQeAYQC4UmR9

Fixing my shop org issues is this weekends project. I'm trying to get a rack for behind the bench up and populated.
    Does one have to be a member of the group to see the images?

For some reason a lot of those online image banks do not produce images I can view.

jtk

Does one have to be a member of the group to see the images?

For some reason a lot of those online image banks do not produce images I can view.
    jtk
    Ah, our quirky forum software. I can see the external images on my desktop computer but they're about half hidden behind a "Join" popup I can't get rid of. Fortunately the popup goes away for a while on my iPod when I scroll down. It's much less annoying than Photobucket's display, though.

Ideas but planes?

Wow!!! Some excellent ideas on hand tool storage/organizers !!! Plan to incorporate some into my next project..

My question is: HOW do YOU store the handplanes in a VERTICAL position so they do not fall? Most of you store them vertically (some of you in drawers or Chests) but I'm interested in how you prevent them from falling forward and hold them secure in a wall-hung closed cabinet?? Your feedback will be appreciated...I cannot determine your method ( I see some hanging loops, wood turn-clamps etc) but I'll look forward to your responses..Thank you in advance.

Am I hijacking this? Guilty as charged I suppose..Thanks
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Wow!!! Some excellent ideas on hand tool storage/organizers !!! Plan to incorporate some into my next project..

My question is: HOW do YOU store the handplanes in a VERTICAL position so they do not fall? Most of you store them vertically (some of you in drawers or Chests) but I'm interested in how you prevent them from falling forward and hold them secure in a wall-hung closed cabinet?? Your feedback will be appreciated...I cannot determine your method ( I see some hanging loops, wood turn-clamps etc) but I'll look forward to your responses..Thank you in advance.

Am I hijacking this? Guilty as charged I suppose..Thanks
    I wouldn't consider that a hijack. I use rare earth magnets, but they need to be mounted flush into a strip of wood to keep them from damaging the sole. This only works with iron planes. For bronze use a little flip-down lever to hold them in.

Jerry, two commonly used ways to mount planes vertically...hanging from loops of cord, or with the toe slipped under a tab and the heel resting on an undercut cleat. Mine are on a panel at about 10* with the heel resting on a cleat. Rare earth magnets keep them from tipping out. I epoxy the magnets slightly below flush, cover with a single layer of Scotch tape, then place the plane in place. The magnet grabs the sole and comes flush without any actual contact with the sole. When cured, remove the tape.

A woodworking colleague who passed away six years ago started to make a beautiful display cabinet for a full set of Marsh Planes he had collected over several years, but he was never able to finish it or show it off. He did complete the back portion of the display in quilted Walnut veneer and I added vertical Walnut/Maple partitions between each plane. The base of the cabinet had a slight gap to hold the base of each plane and rare earth magnets installed before the veneer was glued in place held each plane vertically in place. I built the partitions, and name plaques and assembled the cabinet and took it to several Mid-West Tool Collectors Association meets, including the National Meeting in Lexington, KY a year after his death. It won First Place among all of the other entries at each showing. Here are a few pictures -- I plan to build a similar (but much elaborate) cabinet for my more humble collection of planes one day. His widow later sold the collection even though I offered a substantial amount for it.

100_6156.jpg100_6160.jpg100_6159.jpg100_6158.jpg