Thread: Residue Removal??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. What kind of finish do you then apply? Does the paste wax mess it up?

I've never had the paste wax mess anything up.

The wood is just cleaned up, not finished. You can apply anything that you normally would. I rub on a couple of coats Formby's Tung Oil finish usually. Depends on the job. Deft laquer is okay and fast but I find that it tends to get shiny spots around etched corners when brushed. Maybe if sprayed it would look better. Formby's is easy and looks good but requires considerably more time to dry. Sometimes depending on the customer and the price, I just use orange oil which cleans and leaves a light oil finish.
    Wax should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Allen
    The wood is just cleaned up, not finished. You can apply anything that you normally would. I rub on a couple of coats Formby's Tung Oil finish usually. Depends on the job. Deft laquer is okay and fast but I find that it tends to get shiny spots around etched corners when brushed. Maybe if sprayed it would look better. Formby's is easy and looks good but requires considerably more time to dry. Sometimes depending on the customer and the price, I just use orange oil which cleans and leaves a light oil finish.
    Wax should not be a problem.
    I'm starting to wonder if we've got a couple of separate conversations going on here. Depending on whose post is being replied to (and assuming I'm reading them correctly):
    1. Finish, engrave, wipe off residue with water or alcohol. (Rich)
    2. Finish, wax (Pledge), engrave, wipe off residue with alcohol. (Chuck)
    3. Wax (Johnson), engrave, wipe off residue with water or alcohol, finish (or not?). (Laura)
    4. Wax (Pledge), engrave, wipe off residue with water or alcohol, finish.

#1 and #2 sound ok (or at least match up what I've been told by others). I read #3 and my first thought is, how am I putting on a finish over Johnson paste wax? I have somewhat the same reaction to #4, except that I have absolutely no idea what's actually in Pledge.

I don't know if Kim got her/his question answered, but now I'm confused...except by Rodne's suggestion, because that's how I do it too .

Besides Formby's, I also use satin Minwax rub on polyurethane finish which dries fairly fast, looks good, and is easy to apply.

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for your great feedback. We finally finished the job but found that pledge and/or water warped the wood. Our wood piece was only 1/8" thick, which might be why it warped from the water and/or pledge.We finally conquered it by running another pass at 100% speed. Cleaned up nicely. Then just sprayed a soft rag with some pledge and wiped the non-engraved areas.

This forum is a GREAT place for brain-storming!!