Thread: how many miles on a bike?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Curtis,

Do yourself a huge favor and look at a 21st century Triumph Bonneville if you can.

The real reason to look askance at a bike with 50k on it is that there are many, many bikes out there available with much lower mileage. Why buy the higher mileage bike when you can almost certainly get a lower mileage bike for the same cost?
    Id love a new triumph!
    I was mainly looking at it cause it was cheap, and came with sissy bar, saddle bags, and a ton of extras, thought it might be worth a shot. clearly wasn't .
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I've seen posts by Gold Wing owners that put 50,000 miles in them in a couple of months. I think I saw some guy that put 100,000 miles on it in 3 months time. Those guys ride those bikes like no body else.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I've seen posts by Gold Wing owners that put 50,000 miles in them in a couple of months. I think I saw some guy that put 100,000 miles on it in 3 months time. Those guys ride those bikes like no body else.
    That would be about 10hr a day every day so I think you are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    That would be about 10hr a day every day so I think you are wrong
    I think you might want to visit the Gold Wing forum. People ride them more than you can even imagine. They have the "Iron Butt" program and it's certified. I read a post the other day, a guy rode 10,000 miles in 10 days to get his certification.

Here's the paper work he had to support it :

ironbutt.jpg
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

My 1997 GL1500 Goldwing had 89,000 miles on it when I traded it for a new Wing. I would have had no anxiety about taking a cross country tour on that bike the day I sold it. I am expecting my GL1800 Goldwing to surpass 200,000 miles (if I ride that long).