Thread: Project: Yet another tack trunk...

Project: Yet another tack trunk...

Completed my latest tack trunk project last night. Unlike all but one of the others, this was not an outside commission...this one's for me. I gained a lot of insight from various design changes that came with each commissioned piece as well as my own use of the original prototype since late 2008. The one major design difference for mine is the incorporation of (another) drawer into the system. You see, this "box" sits on top of a 15" tall lower drawer unit. What that means is that in order to get to stuff in the "bottom" layer of the "trunk", one normally has to move/remove whatever is in the top layer. And since the whole assembly is pretty tall, it's not a comfortable reach. I have found that to be a bit vexing sometimes. So for my own trunk, I took the time and trouble to build a lockable drawer to eliminate the digging.

Now that had some implications around the overlay trim method I use for construction. The carcasses on my trunks are built from 1/2" furniture grade veneer plywood with glued and screwed butt joints. The corners are then covered with 1/4" thick solid stock, mitered and fitted to give the illusion of a frame and panel construction. With a drawer cut into the carcass, that meant careful measuring and cutting of the trim on the front because part of that trim is on the case and part of it is on the drawer. I had to account for the width of the blade as I fitting things together so that the cherry grain ran continuous on both pieces. I would surely charge an extra hundred bucks for this feature if anyone ever requests it!

At any rate, it's done (although I may add a decorative element to the front) and I can move on to the new trunk commission I just took on Thursday for one that's going to require a little extra reinforcement for mobility...all previous trunks just live in equestrian facilities and are not carted to horse shows. This new one needs to move around. 'Should be a fun project!

Brasses are all from Lee Valley...

For reference, here's the original prototype sitting on the (prototype) lower drawer unit. The top portion becomes my daughter's personal trunk and my new one trunk takes its place on top of the lower drawer unit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

More drawer detail, please.

All my "piston fit" drawers made last Winter
    are stuck in their openings.

I would like a faster way to make utility drawers, and it appears you have one...

Jim, the drawer is a simple box constructed the same as the trunk carcass...1/2" high quality plywood, butt joints with glue and screws. (#7 SS trim head from McFeely's) The screws are visible on the drawer sides as that was preferable to "plywood end grain" showing. Holes are pre-drilled with a slight countersink and I'm careful not to sink the screws below the surface which is really easy to do if one doesn't pay attention. I do use a few brads during assembly to hold things in alignment after applying the glue so I can drill and drive the screws. The bottom is inset inside of the sides, so it effectively keeps the drawer square without the complication of clamping although one can clamp if they prefer. (K-body or similar parallel clamps recommended)

Note that this drawer is on full extension slides, not "piston fit"...
    --

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Very nice Jim. I think you will have several requests for this design.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Note that this drawer is on full extension slides, not "piston fit"...
    In my case, it's "piston seized".

Yours works.
    Mine doesn't.

Just an update to show this particular trunk "in situ", living on top of the original lower drawer unit with the original prototype on its left. (now my daughter's trunk) At some point, the cherry will match, but in the meantime, I'm extremely pleased with the end result. This design exactly meets my personal needs. I do need to change the handle on that lower drawer unit to one that matches the nice brasses on the new trunk...I'll add that to my next Lee Valley order.

I've already started a new trunk commission...it will have its own thread at the appropriate time.
    --