Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumber length

Lumber length

I just got some 12 foot maple boards, some are over 13 inches wide which makes for some very heavy wood. This wood was from an old furniture maker buy-out. It's been air-dried for over 10 years. I've not worked with maple, much, but I need to cut it to more manageable and storeable lengths. Any suggestions appreciated.
    P.S. Not sure what projects I will used this wood for. Thanks Lewis

12 foot long, 13 inch wide clear maple that's air dried for 10 years?

Send it to me for proper disposition.

Cut it down just before you need to work with it, and leave it as long as you can manage for storage.
    It's a better practice to try sourcing parts for a piece of furniture from the same board;
    for stability of the joints, grain and color matching.

If you must cut boards down to length to store them,
    mark the ends with a "carpenter's triangle" so you can keep the boards together.

If you haven't stored lumber at home, before - keep it off direct contact with concrete.
    This lot is already dry, so it needs to be kept somewhere relatively dry, where mold will not form.

http://woodtreks.com/mill-dimension-...hickness/1020/

In a nutshell - don't cut these lovely lengths down, until you're sure what you will make.

Now Lewis, I'm not to far from you. Just a whoop, hop and a holler across I-20. And seein' how's I'm new here and want to make friends, I'll tell ya what I'm gonna do! I'll come over there and haul that stuff back to my place and store it for you! Full length! You can come pick up what you want anytime. 'course it'd be very gracious of you to let me use some of it for projects I have planned!
    Richard
    Former Captain of Horse & Keeper of the Peace, current Interpreter of Statute.

If you can't handle 12' lengths, the next logical length would probably be 8'. Many furniture pieces are built from pieces less than 48", so an 8' and 4' piece still leave most of your options open.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Ehrhardt View Post
    I just got some 12 foot maple boards, some are over 13 inches wide which makes for some very heavy wood. This wood was from an old furniture maker buy-out. It's been air-dried for over 10 years. I've not worked with maple, much, but I need to cut it to more manageable and storeable lengths. Any suggestions appreciated.
    P.S. Not sure what projects I will used this wood for. Thanks Lewis
    Ideally you should store them in their original 12' length to give you maximum flexibility on future projects. If you don't have space for 12' boards then I guess you'll be cutting them down to whatever room you do have. Not sure what suggestions you're looking for.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I think six foot material is often very accommodating for furniture type work. Of course you have to think about the work you do. I wouldnt want 4' material so 8's wouldn't for me.

If my work was flexible, and I had no specific intent for the material, I'd cut it to 6' and make a nice tidy stack.

Man.........that's a tough decision.

For me - I wouldn't cut into it until I had a project to use it. I like to cut parts so that the grain is oriented correctly, match grain from piece-to-piece, etc. Breaking those boards down into smaller pieces would limit options.

I have racks and shelves for wood - can handle up to 14' long, a pretty good amount. Except, I have too much, so there is a stickered pile 3'+ tall & 24" wide, mixed species, on the floor along one shop aisle......................

I am hoping you could resole the issue under hte philosophy that "there's gotta be a way".................

Edit: Jim - I will race you for it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

In one of James Krenov's books he states that after you cut a 12 ft board into 6 ft lengths you will have a 7 ft idea.

That said, my storage racks can handle 8 ft and I'd likely cut them 8 + 4. Pick the ugliest end to make the short piece from.

If your ceiling will permit it store them vertically in original condition.

The issue with breaking those beautiful boards down "now" to specific lengths is that you may compromise your ability to select the best grain and color for your future projects. Yes, it's a pain to store and handle longer board, but if you actually can keep them intact, you'll be better served in the long run.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If at all possible, what Jim Matthews and the other "preservationists" have recommended. Horizontal storage high up on your shop walls might be just the ticket -- out of the way but accessible with a step ladder. My whole shop was rimmed with stacks of boards up near the ceiling.

I cut most of my boards into 4-5 foot lengths so they are easier to handle and mill. I try to cut across a knot or other disfigured area, thought it sounds like you may not have many of these areas.
    Robin
    Bluebird Woodcrafts

This is 4/4, right?

I think you have to know yourself. Personally I like to maximize yield on wide stock and I'm less concerned with perfect grain matching. I'd probably want to turn those into benches or table tops. Cutting them into 72" sections would give me 2 nice sections from each board that may even be able to be slip-matched well. When I come into prized stock like that I like to let the wood determine the project and the dimensions, not the other (normal) way.

I'm always prejudiced to think in terms of 8ft sections, but unless I'm making cabinetry or workbenches, I haven't found that dimension particularly relevant to a lot of other furniture.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 09-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    No predicting the future. Find a spot for them or make your best guess and live with it. The roof peak area in my shop accepts 12 footers .

Vertical Lumber Storage 001.jpgVertical Lumber Storage 004.jpgVertical Lumber Storage 005.jpgVertical Lumber Storage 007.jpg

The base is kicked out and tilts toward the wall at a couple of degrees. there is an air-gap under the platform to avoid moisture collection. I stock by thickness rather than species as I find this works better for me operationally.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the suggestions. Beings these are 1 and 1/2 inches thick, they are rather heavy. It's not so much that I can't lift them, but I'm not as young as I used to be and my back suffers from a fusion some years ago. But the major issue is storage. I recently had to cut down four oak trees that ranged in age from over 90 to 50 years old. I had a sawyer cut them up for me, which means I have about 9k bf of oak stickered/stored in my back yard. I need to build some bigger barns I've not done a lot with maple, so, I"m not sure what projects are ahead. I just thought there might be some sort of average lengths that are sort of universal. That's all.