Thread: Help Correcting Ebonized Red Oak Purple Tint

Help Correcting Ebonized Red Oak Purple Tint

I recently finished my home bar project made from red oak with a white vinegar and steel wool solution that had been sitting for about two weeks. When I first applied the vinegar solution on the oak it turned a nice deep brown color and now after sitting for about 48 hours the deep brown turned in to a deep purple. Is there a way to turn the purple back to a deep brown or do I have to resand and try a different ebonzing technique. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

Do you have finish on it? It won't show the true color until it is sealed, you can check in an inconspicuous spot.

I have not put a finish on the wood yet. I was going to ask about that next because I have read a lot of conflicting opinions as to what to finish ebonized wood with. Any suggestions?

What you finish it with depends on how you plan to use it. I agree that the purple will become more black under a finish. You can get a quick preview by squirting some mineral spirits on it.

Ok I will try that and see what it looks like. Do you have any recommendations for clear coat that will be resilient against moisture and drinks being spilled on it? I was thinking a clear poly but was not sure.