Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Must have Tools, Jigs, and Gadgets?

Must have Tools, Jigs, and Gadgets?

OK, I'm always trying to stock my small shop with things that make a woodworking episode easier. Not considering large machines/power tools, what is your favorite, most go to gadget/s? And where did you get it?

I seem to always be buying something from a thread on here. Please feel free to input your your favorite tool/s.

Oh, if you built the jig, how about a pix and some how to's!!

My 2 Grrr-Rippers. Use them all the time.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Two things come to mind.

First are my Grip Tite Magnetic Feather boardslsfence1.jpg

Second is my home made cross cut table made from a 2 x 4' piece of plywood and a red oak 2 x 2

Third is my height adjustable stool made from plans from Wood Magazine.stool.jpg I can use it as a stool or as a helper when cutting sheets of plywood or when drilling holes in long pieces on my drill press. I can raise or lower the center section of the seat to match my saw table height or the height of my drill press table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Several years ago, I bought a DowelMax doweling jig and it transformed my woodworking joinery techniques. This device makes it very easy to drill holes that are precise enough that you don't even have to sand the joints flat on pieces that are assembled at right angles. It is just a super fast and easy way to make joints for all but the most demanding applications. I suppose that the Domino has pretty much replaced doweling for a lot of people these days but it is a cheaper solution that can be stronger than dominoes in some applications.

Edit: Hey Lee, would you mind posting the issue of "Wood" that had that plan in it. That looks like a nice project to build on a CNC router. Thanks!
    Last edited by Art Mann; 11-01-2014 at 6:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Edit: Hey Lee, would you mind posting the issue of "Wood" that had that plan in it. That looks like a nice project to build on a CNC router. Thanks!
    Sorry, I no longer have the magazine. I could post more detailed photos and some measurements if there is interest.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Table saw crosscut sled for sure. I built 2, one with 24" capacity and a huge one with 50" capacity.

I fell so in love with the concept, I bought the Incra Miter 5000 for precise angles. I loved that so much, I recently bought the 1000HD and at some point I'll put it on a MiterExpress. I'm wondering if it could serve dual duty on the table saw and the router table.

So for me, it's all 'bout the sled, 'bout the sled...

Harbor Freight digital fractional caliper - about $20 on sale.

Kreg pocket hole jig. The mini at about $20 is fine for once in a while use.

Check out the tips thread that Ole started at the top of this forum. Lot's of good ideas there.

Feather boards. Easy to make and cheap. Just like ZCI's for your table saw, once you get setup to make one, make a bunch.

Rockler 3/8" dowling jig.
    http://www.rockler.com/rockler-3-8-d...illing-jig-kit
    They added a drill bit and stop collar since I bought mine for $11. I'm not sure those are worth the extra $8, but, the jig is spot on and does a good job if you only use dowels once in a while.

Starrett combination square. About $75 on sale or cheaper for used on Ebay.
    I bought mine at Hartville Tools during one of their 20% off sales of anything you could fit in a bag.
    Yeah - it's expensive but - so what? It's one of those small things in life you owe it to yourself to indulge in.
    You use it for your lifetime, then pass it along to someone else that can appreciate it.

Pencils - pencils - pencils - pencils and more pencils.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

002.jpgCedar waste basket.jpg002.jpg001.jpgI made my own tapering jig/sled for my table saw. I use it whenever I make tapered legs , containers or decorative stars like the one 28" one pictured. I made the jig of "T" track and MDF.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Not much different then most but here is my list, not in any order.

Table saw crosscut sled, one is 90° and one is 45°.
    Digital fractional calipers, use them all the time.
    Jessem feather boards.
    Saddle square
    Steel ruler with the centering on it.
    Irwin drill bit gauge.
    Bench cookies
    Irwin quick clamps
    6" combo square
    Wixey digital depth gauge
    Johnson paste wax
    Wixey digital readout on the table saw
    Hand Guard push blocks
    Jessem doweling jig, Paralign, the big one.
    I-Box, box joint jig.
    Rockler box joint cauls

I think a couple good bench planes like a block, a smoother, a jack, and a jointer are great to have.

I love my rockler bench dogs too.

I also value dust and debris collection. To that end, i love my dust deputy and cv mini cyclones. For hose, i like the orange hose from hd. Its more flexible than the black stock hose, wont collapse, and doesnt contract under suction like many expandable hoses. It also comes with a few different make up connectors and is relativel inexpensive.

I find having multiple shop vacs is preferable for me than having complicated ducting.

I like the cheap hvlp sprayer from rockler or woodcraft or hf. They spray shellac, lacquer, and dye very easily.

if you want to some money, i think the mirka ceros ros and festool domino are worthy of their price.

for flat blade sharpening, i think the worksharp 3000 with cheap, diamond lapidary discs purchased from ebay are a secret weapon.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-02-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Wixey digital angle gage.

Makes setting up machines a lot easier. And it is not very expensive!

little things I use more than I thought I would:
    floats and files
    engineer's squares
    calipers
    flush cut saws
    block planes
    big push sticks
    sanding block

knife setting gauge. and i do believe Powermatic had the rights to make it in the USA. Its can be used on its side for setting spindle moulder knifes as well

jack
    English machines

4" double square has become one of favorite and most used items. Engineeers square are high on the list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Sorry, I no longer have the magazine. I could post more detailed photos and some measurements if there is interest.
    Please Do....
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006