Thread: Varnish Rub-out with brown paper + MS ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    For removing nibs in the finish use a nib file. Either a fine or a coarse file from Steck is good, my personal favorite is the metal plane from Konig. Don't apply pressure while using just allow the weight of the file to cut off the nibs. The paper bag trick works best with dust dried in the finish leaving a sandpaper feel. If you truly would like to rub the finish to a lower sheen than high gloss then Abralon pads on an orbital sander are by far the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Mosher View Post
    For removing nibs in the finish use a nib file. Either a fine or a coarse file from Steck is good, my personal favorite is the metal plane from Konig. Don't apply pressure while using just allow the weight of the file to cut off the nibs. The paper bag trick works best with dust dried in the finish leaving a sandpaper feel. If you truly would like to rub the finish to a lower sheen than high gloss then Abralon pads on an orbital sander are by far the best way to go.
    Rick - I have never before heard of those tools. Learn something new every day. Very interesting. When/what/why do you use them? What is the resulting finish?

I'm not looking for the abalon rub-out result. That bit I know. Just looking for a quick-and-easy way to knock down the errant dust nibs - I'm not going to the pains I usually endure on good furniture to avoid them.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.