Thread: Motor Noise on Almost New PM 3520b

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Motor Noise on Almost New PM 3520b

I did some searching but my noise seems different. A non-rhythmic (i.e. not once per rev) noise seems to be coming from the fan end of the motor. Like something loose in the fan end of the motor. I can hear it at below 500 RPM. At 500 and above the fan and other things are louder. I can hear it with the belt disconnected and the motor run or spun by hand. The motor armature spins very freely as I let it coast down without the belt. At first I though it was the fan - almost sounded like fan was loose on the shaft and hitting something every now and then. I went as far as removing the fan and the noise is still there. Since it's under warranty didn't want to tear into anything else yet. Any clues of suggestions? (This noise seemed to just start today)

Edited: After further listening it's stranger than I thought. I can hear a similar noise at the drive end of the motor but they don't seem to be in phase with each other. I was just wondering - could this just be the VFD doing it's thing? I do wear an Airshield Pro all the time so maybe I didn't notice it before.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 12-30-2014 at 10:15 PM.