Thread: WoodRiver Planer

WoodRiver Planer

Seen this new (I believe), planer at Woodcraft the other day. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it...... Thanks for the input.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/159...utterhead.aspx

The chassis/frame design looks a lot like the early Delta 22-540 from the late 90's.

The 22-540 I had left a beautiful finish but sniped 2"-3" on each end of the board.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It looks just like the Ryobi I bought in the early 90's. It always worked well and it's about the same price as I recall. I sold it a few years back when I slowed down on my wood working.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    If a planer is sniping, try lifting up on the end of the board when feeding it.
    You can adjust the tables to provide this lift. The DW-734 tables are set to do this.
    Lift up on the back of the board when feeding it and lift up on the front of the board when the cut when finishing it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If a planer is sniping, try lifting up on the end of the board when feeding it.
    You can adjust the tables to provide this lift. The DW-734 tables are set to do this.
    Lift up on the back of the board when feeding it and lift up on the front of the board when the cut when finishing it.
    Yes, that often works but takes some trial & error to learn the right touch. I would run a short sacrificial board ahead of the workpiece as it entered and exited the planner or just leave an extra 4"-5" on the board length.

Most newer planner designs have corrected the snipe issue. Hopefully the Wood River is snipe free.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That looks identical to Steel City's portable planer. You might be able to find some reviews.

http://steelcitytoolworks.com/index.php/planers/13-portable-planer.html

Blog Entries
    I think it is a low budget version of this Steel City Planer:
    "Steel City Tool Works 40200H 13-Inch Planer with Helical Cutterhead"

I have the above version and It works fine. However, I don't use the planer much as I prefer to re-saw.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Thanks everyone, the replies are going to help me when I finally pull the trigger and buy one.....

Blog Entries
    In that price range I would go to a DeWalt DW734. Large following, can be setup to operate snipe-free, three knives, single speed but, 12-1/2" not 13". I ran one for years and sold it to a pro shop that wanted a second one. Despite their heavy-iron floor models the DW734 got the bulk of the work in their shop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since we can't post links to other forums (which is stupid because information is information), go to Lumberjocks.com and search for "New Woodriver planer". There is a discussion with some info. Also there is one review on Woodcraft.com. Should be more than enough to get an idea. There are already many lunchbox planer options out there, so adding a new one isn't that big of a deal. The Woodriver is a rebadged Steel City with 26 2-sided carbon steel cutters (not carbide).

You should ask the local Woodcraft staff if they have one that can be demoed. That will tell you plenty with a quick in person test along with a reviews online.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 03-09-2015 at 7:30 PM.